New Toy from Diamond...wha...?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

New Toy from Diamond...wha...?

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:37 pm

Any of you guys ever screwed around playin' yer harp into a bar glass...? Do you like the sound of those notes bouncin' off those hard glass surfaces...? Well, I asked Ian at Diamond slides to make me a glass horn for playin' acoustically. Sound crazy...? Well,it's shipped and on the way, so I'll be able to try it out soon,hopefully. I'll letcha know what I think. It could be a total fizzle,but we'll see. Ian was very willing to take this on, and worked unbelievably fast. Great responsiveness to a customer's needs.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluecooper » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:32 pm

:lol:
MAN i hope that works well.
bluecooper
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:41 pm

That's really cool! I'm looking forward to hearing what you can do with that.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:03 pm

I play at an acoustic jam weekly, and I thought it might be fun to see what it does. I also play alot into vocal mics,gettin' asked up on stage, and I wanna see how it acts aimed at a 58, up close. It might feed back. It's supposedly about the size of a bullet mic,with a horn about the same size. I needed to keep it compact, with the ability to aim sound out like a trumpet horn,only smaller. It should be interesting. I'm prob'ly nuts, 'cuz you'd think somebody else woulda tried it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm

can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:23 pm

That's tremendously cool.

Hope it works well.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:04 am

allanlummox wrote:That's tremendously cool.

Hope it works well.
Well,even if it only looks great, it'll screw up the minds of the guys who've never been around a halfway decent player with a case load of harps,lol. After a coupla beers I should be able to come up with some concocted explanation of how the glass horn doubles up the harmonics by bouncing sound waves at each other twice in 5 inches.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 pm

I got my glass "harp horn" in the mail already! It looks about right at first glance. It's nearly symmetrical, being 2 7/8" on the outside diameter on both ends. It's basically a double bell configuration,with a bottleneck of about 1 1/4" in the middle. Being Pyrex, it's light to the feel. We'll give 'er a try tonite. It seems like an easy cup,but I gotta try 'er with a harp sandwiched in there before the jury comes in. ...and then there's always the sound; I gotta see if it gets me the clear focussed acoustic sound I'm hopin' for.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:20 pm

I jus' got a check-up call from Ian McWee (Diamond Bottlenecks) at work here. I've been screwin' around with the Pyrex "Harp Horn" he built for me a few weeks ago, and he called to see how I was doin' with it. We're goin' back to the drawing board to tweak the thing a little, and they're gonna fool with the possibility of doin' it in crystal, to see how much it would weigh and if we can get the dimensions right with the thicker walls. In short, his customer service is impressive and welcomed. When you're goin' where no man has gone before, it's nice to be dealin' with somebody who knows their end of the business. BTW, the guys at my jam concluded that it definitely hardened the tone of acoustic harp noticeably, so we'll see where it goes from here.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Sounds like a fun project. What exactly do you mean by "hardened" the sound? Did it reduce the tinny (as in metallic) sound of the acoustic harp?
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:59 pm

That's nothing new because I used to see Big Walter Horton and then my good friend Sugar Ray Norcia do that all the time!!
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:40 pm

barbequebob wrote:That's nothing new because I used to see Big Walter Horton and then my good friend Sugar Ray Norcia do that all the time!!
Well, THAT makes me feel even better,Bob! I was feelin' a little nuts pursuin' this, 'cuz I thought it might be a dead end, but if those guys were doin' it, then maybe there's somethin' to it. Like I said earlier, I stumbled onto it by playin' into bar glasses and likin' the sound, but I didn't know if that was 'cuz it was bouncin it back towards me, or what.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm gonna take my little glass horn to my jam again tonite and try to focus a little more on what I'm doin' with it. One opening needs to be cut down a hair smaller on it, to make it easier to cup, and after that's done, I'm gonna use it amplified again thru a 58, and then I'll be done with the first stage of my little research project. Then, we'll see if Ian's got a piece of crystal he can make one out of.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:15 pm

Jeffl, your thread inspired me to make my own harp megaphone out of the wine bottles the GF drinks.

I just cut the neck and bottom off the bottles with a tile saw, smoothed the edges and duct taped my mic in the bottom end.

Performance wise, it might look cool, but sound wise, I'm not to impressed.

Looking forward to your review of your rig.
oleman
Regular

Postby Bournio » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Can you take some pictures of the Harp horn?
Wonder why it's not been done before! could you record the same lick twice? acoustically just with a condenser mic near-ish, once with the horn and once without so we can hear the difference?
Bournio
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp