Hohner Blues Blaster harp microphone

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Hohner Blues Blaster harp microphone

Postby bendaway » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:44 pm

I emailed Hohner earlier this week asking what would happen to the Blues Blaster mic now that the Astatic factory that made those JT-30 mics is shut down. The response was: The factory shutdown will not effect the production of the Blues Blaster. Hohner would give no more details.
bendaway
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:03 pm

you know a lotta people dont like the blues blaster with the japan elements but I have to say I love it! I never played through a MC151 element and if its better then the blues blaster element I would be amazed, but at the price that the not made anymore 151's I cant get myself to buy one because the cheap japan element in my BB works for me!

I have had all sorts of mics and elements from shure and astatic and I can honestly say out of them all I rather what I get from my hohner BB its sort of like a vocal mic with dirt, I found every other mic before the BB was too gritty with less bottom, I dont like too much honk with out a full round sound involved. So I hope hohner keeps making them!
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Different strokes for different folks,huh Bluesbox...? The only thing I really like about my blues blaster is that it's much lighter than my Shure. I don't use the BB much,and I always forget how I have to change the settings on my harp commander and delay to accomodate the different mic.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:52 pm

Goitta say I like my blueblaster too.. Now I know the cheap element isn't going to be as good as an MC151 or MC127 ceramic, simple plain truth. BUT crystal elements can vary quite a lot. I think I got a good 'un in mine. That and the fact my Blaster has a 5 meg pot factory installed... Yeah, I know, everyone will tell you that the standard pot in them is a 500K, but I took mine apart for repainting, and I planned to put a 1 meg volume control in at the same time. I was really surprised to find after uncrewing and removing all the parts the volume pot was labelled "B 5M"- a linear track 5 megaohm pot. If you're handing with a soldering iron. I'd recomend trying a 5 meg pot first before dismissing it out of hand.....
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:37 pm

yeah jeff, I could never figure out why on earth every single highly talked about shure mic I have ever tried didnt work for me, I always come back to my blues blaster. Maybe its just the taste I have in that certain full sound, and I dont really care for the sound I get from a shure element. I even have done amp/mic samples that you could hear the difference in them like night and day. The shure mics I have had were always too naslly and thin, possible thats how they are, or I have been getting bonk ones? But even hearing recordings of other players that have them I feel the same about the sound they project over an astatic or bluesblaster mic.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Don't know what to tell ya' Bluesbox....personal preference definitely,but more than that, it might have somethin' to do with the way different guys generate their tone. I use a harp commander and a delay,and the gain settings and the echo depth all come into play,not to mention your personal tone cavities. Everybody's idea of the right tone is a little different. That's one of the reasons I like giggin' with my Peavey,even though it's not exactly the tone I would want if I wasn't playin' in loud situations: I like the cut of the Peavey in the stage mix,and I sacrifice a little crunch to get the cut. I'm also more comfortable controlling the feedback with the dynamic element vs. the crystals,'cuz I have way more experience with 'em. Frankly though, when I get asked to get up with bands on the spot, I end up playing thru 58s eq'd for voice alot, and it always sounds jus' fine to everybody. I've really learned how to play through 58s without gettin' feedback and still gettin' a passable tone (It's a matter of millimeters in how you hold the mic and open and close the cup at times.).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:53 am

well I can sound just as good toned on a vocal mic as the blues blaster so I dont think I lack in the way I play and the tone I have I think its more of personal taste as you mensioned. The only thing I like better then playing through a vocal mic is with the blues blaster I have the added gritt that the vocal mic doesnt have.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Blues Harp