New Superlux dynamic bullet harp mic

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

New Superlux dynamic bullet harp mic

Postby bendaway » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:54 pm

I just found out about a new harmonica microphone. It is the Superlux D112/C dynamic mic. Made in China and is basically a Shure Green Bullet clone. High impedance, 20 foot cord with a standard unbalanced 1/4" plug. Has a built-in volume control. Weight is 1 lb., 7 oz. The list price is $150, but I found it retailing online for $75 plus shipping.
bendaway
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:21 pm

I think they unveiled that thing at NAMM. There's an ad on it in the NAMM magazine,too. The deciding factor on how it sounds will probably be in the details of the volume control. Volume controls determine what happens to the signal as you turn it up; for example,there's a world of difference between how the volume control works on my 520DX Shure vs. the Blues Blaster I also own. The Blues Blaster has what sounds like 3 distinctly different gain stages as you go up, whereas the Shure is much more uniform. I'd have to play through one of those new ones before I'd ever sink any money in one, unless I just wanted to have a backup mic that was different than my main one, which is what I now have. I really oughta have two 520s, 'cuz that's what I like to play through-- or else bite the bullet (pun) for a custom bullet.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bendaway » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm

jeffl wrote: The deciding factor on how it sounds will probably be in the details of the volume control. Volume controls determine what happens to the signal as you turn it up; for example,there's a world of difference between how the volume control works on my 520DX Shure vs. the Blues Blaster I also own. The Blues Blaster has what sounds like 3 distinctly different gain stages as you go up, whereas the Shure is much more uniform.
That is probably a matter of the value (in ohms) and taper of the volume potentiometer, plus any capacitor(s) used in the circuit. What the Chinese dynamic mic element sounds like should be the biggest sound factor. Yes, a Blues Blaster mic with crystal element will behave differently.
bendaway
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Yup.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:00 pm

I've got one on order - 58 euro's including the shipping, roughly equivalent to the $75 I see on the cheapest US site. As a new 520DX goes for £100 over here (almost $200!) I thought it was worth a try. I'll post my results when I've had a chance to really try it out...
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:06 am

bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp