Question about harmonicas. I have a honer chomonica 64

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Question about harmonicas. I have a honer chomonica 64

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:13 am

This was given to me. My mom bought it about 20 years ago in Germany.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it as I have no use for it. Do people sell used harmonicas or is that something that is just not done. I understand that for sanitary reasons they might not be sold used, but I have no idea. This one is in mint condition. It says C on it, so I'm assuming it's the key of C.

Now here's my dilema. I play resonator slide in C,D, and G tunings. I'm wondering what harmonica goes with these tunings. I can play really well, but no nothing about keys. That said, this thing just does not have the blues sound to it.

Wondering if someone might have some decent harps they might want to trade for this thing, or if you could recommend something in the proper keys for the tunings I'm playing in.

Any help is appreciated.

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:02 am

James, go to the Coast to Coast page, you know, that link that says "Click Here to Support Our Sponsor." There's a bunch of harmonica instructional material linked on there, including about what harp keys to play "Cross Harp" in. (And other positions.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:37 am

keep the chromatic for future use if your serious about harp, then buy you a 12.00 big river harp thats what you need.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:22 pm

what about key. This thing doesn't seem to go well with my resonator tunings.

What do I need if I play in open C,D,G tuning on the resonator?

Thanks
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:08 pm

If you're playing cross harp (or second position), which is pretty standard for blues, you'll want the keys of F, G and C. F for playing in C, G for playing in D and C for playing in G.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:50 pm

Just count up four from the key you are playing in and that will be the crossharp key. So if the song is in the key of G, count up four G, A, B, C - so you will need a C harp played mostly in the 2nd position. If the song is in the Key of D, count up four D, E, F, G - use a G harp.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:11 pm

songdog wrote:Just count up four from the key you are playing in and that will be the crossharp key. So if the song is in the key of G, count up four G, A, B, C - so you will need a C harp played mostly in the 2nd position. If the song is in the Key of D, count up four D, E, F, G - use a G harp.
It doesn't work exactly like that on a Chromatic...well,it does,but if you play it like a diatonic,yer gonna run into notes that aren't where you're accustomed to finding 'em.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 pm

jeffl wrote: It doesn't work exactly like that on a Chromatic...well,it does,but if you play it like a diatonic,yer gonna run into notes that aren't where you're accustomed to finding 'em.

Correct. If you are just starting out with the blues, you should probably stick with the diatonic harps and play in second position. Just my opinion though.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Here's a pretty simple cross harp chart:

http://www.grothmusic.com/online/crossharp.htm
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluemoose » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi James:

The simplest approach for playing blues on a chromatic is to play in third
position. There is no (or very rarely) button work required. Great big
draw chords. Pretty hard to make mistakes top to bottom. Think Little Walter
'Crazy Mixed Up World'.

From Harp On! Chromatic Harmonica Reference by G.

"The most common method associated with big name Blues Harmonica players is fairly quickly achieved by playing in "3rd Position" on a key of C chromatic, which would be used to play in key of D minor (Dorian mode).
Start on draw 2 and progress up the scale to draw 5.
The most effective way of emulating this is with a 16 hole chromatic (usually Hohner Chromonica 64). Draw a fat chord on the bottom 4 holes, slide up the chromatic (keeping the 4 hole chord draw) to the top, then blow/draw/blow/draw chords back down to the bottom in time with the beat. You can then work into a jazzy blow/draw vamp or single notes in the middle registers. Also using octaves in this way is very effective.
This method is also just as effective by keeping the button held in for the whole song, giving Eb minor (Dorian mode)."

Not sure how this would work with dobro slide tunings or if you are trying
to play chrom at the same time. Tune to D and give it a go.

moose.
bluemoose
Regular

Return to Blues Harp