Delay or Reverb

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Delay or Reverb

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Whadda you guys use...? I generally use a Danelectro BLT Slap Echo which is one of the few really cheap devices that I've found useful,adequate,and attractive sounding. My Peavey Classic 30 has reverb,and I use a touch of that when I'm playing with that amp. When I use my Champ, it's just the delay. I've also got a DigiTech Digital Delay,but it's a bigger,heavier pedal, and in my opinion doesn't sound any better than my Dano and it won't fit in my case. My Roland MicroCube has a delay feature,and it makes for a great practice/rehearsal amp (when mic'ed for rehearsal),'cuz it's so small. Frankly, I just don't like my sound without echo or delay,but only a light serving of it.
Last edited by jeffl on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mukluk » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:47 pm

hey Bubba, I use a Boss AD3 pedal which has Reverb and Chorus(plus other good stuff), and also a Fab Echo pedal. The reverb with a touch of echo gives me the tone I like.

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby brianp » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:39 pm

I use a dan echo pedal with the hi impedance mod.

BrianP
http://www.harpgear.com
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:17 pm

I don't use anything. I have a Dan Echo and a BOSS digital reverb/delay pedal. They always seem to be more of a distraction than any help. One of these days I might buy an old analog delay pedal. I like the way my amps sound without any effects (especially the modded Bassman).
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianp » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:21 pm

I find myself not using effects more than using them. I think it is more laziness though :)

BrianP
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:34 pm

I use the Ibanez DE7 delay/echo pedal. More delay or echo available from it than I'll ever use, and it doesn't seem to load the signal even with a crystal mic. I used to have a (self) modified Dan-echo but sold it recently. It might be odd but I prefer the delay setting to the echo one.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:56 pm

"It might be odd,but I prefer the delay setting to the echo one." I think alot depends on the circuitry of the amp yer pushin' it through. Effects boxes have slightly varying effects on differing circuitries,in my experience. It also varies due to whether the box is analog or digital; some guys swear against one form or the other,and I think it depends on each individual box,and the amp circuitry yer sendin' it through. Let's face it,if yer playin' some smoky joint, half fulla drunks and people tryin' to get some lovin',all sweated up and yellin' phone numbers at each other, and the band's cranked up to warp 9, slight variations in tone are falling on deaf ears mostly. I will stick to my endorsement of the BLT for my amps,though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mukluk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:07 am

To my ears delay adds a little more "dirt" to my tone than echo does ( I like both effects). I usually play thru a Harmonica Honker mic tho , so as much dirt as I need can then be added at the twist of a dial on the mic. When playing thru a PA , the AD3 pedal is all I use for effects. It helps me to not be at the mercy of a soundboard guy at jams. With a 2 band eq, volume control , DI box function, anti feedback, plus reverb & chorus, I've still got a lot of control over my sound/tone. The amount of pedal/mic combo's available is huge, so everybody should be able to find the one's that suit them..... it' just might mean a lot of different gear purchases tho!!! (hehe) But that's half the fun of the "Tone" search harp players usually go through.

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby tobie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:28 am

Just using a touch of delay/reverb straight from my Beringher mixer. No pedals for me - got enough to keep myself occupied with!
tobie
Regular

Postby resoharp » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 pm

Amp reverb from a good ole Fender amp. I use a Vibrolux Reverb and
love it. I turn the reverb up to about 5 and that gives me tone for days. If I'm playing in a real large and live sounding room, I'll back off the reverb a little so the sound doesn't get washed out.
Nothing like a Fender!
My 2 cents.
resoharp
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:05 pm

5,resoharp...? I've never tried that much reverb; of course,every reverb unit is different. If I'd have put the reverb at 5 on the '63 ReverbRocket I played through last week, it woulda sounded like Space Odyssey.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby steel1953 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:27 am

I used to use a Roland Space Echo set for a nice slapback. Been trying a Line 6 DL-4 which is nice for having 3 presets, but it's no Space Echo.
Next stop...reverb unit. Or I might tweak out my Deluxe Reverb as Kendrick mentioned in his book. Fact is, that's way cheaper!
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp