Tube screamer

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Tube screamer

Postby eline » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:44 am

What can you all tell me about a tube screamer? I currently use an Jt30, a sure sm58, occasionally a distortion pedal (DS-1) and play through a Fender Blues Junior amp. How different/similar is a tube screamer compared to my distortion pedal? What kind of sound could I expect with my current set up along with a tube screamer..,etc.?
eline
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:02 am

The Tube Screamer's best used as a pure overdrive pedal, boosting the input signal so the first stage of the tube amp's overdriven.

If you want to play on the cheap, the Arion Tubulator is said to be a pretty close copy electronically of the TS-808. Though temporarily out of stock (supposedly back around February 6, 2007), it's again on sale for $9.99 at MF: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150509

I'll recommend this one to everyone to try out. It really sounds good.

OOPS! I forgot I was in the harp section. You guys like to lower amp gain, not boost it. Never mind.

But for spanking your plank, Tube Screamers and Tubulators can be nice toys.
ricochet
Regular

Postby steel1953 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:47 am

I have a couple of old TS-10's, one modified for less mids.
Using the pedals sounds okay for harp, but you really lose a lot of dynamics as far as your signal hitting the amp. I can go from fairly clean, to plenty of dirt with a Shure CM. But through the pedal it's always dirty.......

With cats using modeling preamps nowdays for the studio, I just wonder what kind of rigs they use?
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Splash » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:45 pm

I have tried my tube screamer with a JT-30/CM and my Kalamazoo2. Didn't like it. The Kazoo2 has enough crunch all by itself with a hot bullet. Now when I'm fooling around with the Kazoo2 and my Strat... TS-9 really makes a huge difference.

Moral of the story: Hot enough mic = no need for overdrive stompbox.

Other idea? Change the 12AX7 to 12AU7 ?? AT7 ??

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!
Splash
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:58 pm

If you're gonna go down in gain on the tube at the front end of your pre-amp chain,in order to be able to drive the amp harder for breakup, I would recommend starting with the first step down (the AT7) and see how you like it. You can always go down to the U and Y from there. In fact,depending on how much headroom you're gonna need for the venue you're playin', you can switch the tubes for the venue. I keep both substitutes in my gig bag at all times,but I've stuck with the AT7 on my Classic 30. I have a Blues Blaster and I don't like the way it interacts with effects boxes near as much as I like my 520DX. In my opinion, a little delay is all you need to fatten up your tone a little and give it more depth or presence.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby steel1953 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:29 am

I gotta agree with Jeffl..........I've used my Space Echo for years to fatten up my tone on my guitar. Works just as well on harp. Don't even miss reverb...........
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:36 pm

Jeffl, you'll probably find that the very high impedance of the 'blaster doesn't match well with the effects boxes as much as the 520DX does.
I find that my 'blaster sounds fine through an Ibanez DE7 though, which is now my delay/echo pedal. I agree on using delay or echo to fatten up the tone. I've tried using distortion boxes before, and never ever liked the results, which is usually feedback. The best thing is to get the power tube distortion and breakup, so low gain in the pre-amp section helps.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:02 pm

t-bone,yer right. It hasn't been much of an issue for me lately,'cuz I'm not giggin' at all any more (no band,lol!), and I haven't even been sittin' in with anybody, 'cuz I got tired of initiating all the contacts,etc. The only gig on the horizon is in February with a local band (they've never had a harper) and I've played the little club before and I'm thinkin' that the Champ with a delay is what I'll use there. The Blaster I bought to see what it sounded like, and as a back up to my stock 520dx, and it's fine too. When I use the blaster, I use reverb insteada delay.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:35 pm

t bone bruce wrote:Jeffl, you'll probably find that the very high impedance of the 'blaster doesn't match well with the effects boxes as much as the 520DX does.
I find that my 'blaster sounds fine through an Ibanez DE7 though, which is now my delay/echo pedal. I agree on using delay or echo to fatten up the tone. I've tried using distortion boxes before, and never ever liked the results, which is usually feedback. The best thing is to get the power tube distortion and breakup, so low gain in the pre-amp section helps.

Certain mikes may mate up better with certain pedals for much the same reason as for different amps, and that's because of impedance mismatch. Crystal and cermic mikes are ultra high impedance (1mega ohm++), GB's and dynamics are actually medium Z, and with the Dan Echo, often times the impedance mismatch was a problem with the crystal/ceramics because the inputs of the DanEcho was too low to properly match so you may need to have those effect pedals rewired for the proper impedance match.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:41 pm

barbequebob wrote:Crystal and ceramic mikes are ultra high impedance (1mega ohm++)

Pretty much all that's going to directly match well with is the grid of a tube.
ricochet
Regular

Postby houserocker » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Ric, I ordered one of those Arion Tubulator's today thru the link you posted, can't wait to hear it. For $9.99 + Shipping I figured I would at least give it a try. We'll see.

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp