Steve "Boom Boom" Vonderharr

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Steve "Boom Boom" Vonderharr

Postby jeffl » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:46 pm

I heard a great harper from the Minneapolis,Minnesota, area last nite, playin' with Reverend Raven. The guy's name is Steve Vonderharr, and he's one of the very best I've heard in this state,ever. He's got great tone and dexterity,alternating between dark horn-like tones and light bouncy riffs with intermittent accents. His light touch,while displaying power, reminded me of BBQ Bob's sermons on not overplaying. He's definitely been influenced by Little Walter,but didn't appear to be tryin' to copy him. The topper was that the guy was havin' a blast and was a great comper who deferred to his front-man consistently. He smiled all night long and danced and grooved without being distracting. It was a great compliment to the vocals and guitar playin' of Reverend Raven. I went there specifically to learn a thing or two and get one of his CDs, and I ran into a bunch of the musicians and behind the scenes blues people (promotors,writers and volunteers) whom I've rubbed shoulders with over the years.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Cool!

Has Boom Boom got any clips posted on the net?

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:02 am

bosco wrote:Cool!

Bosco
Y'know,I didn't even search for clips Bosco. I listened to his CD last nite and today, and I came to the conclusion the CD's not that great. He's a great harper,but the CD seems to be typical of performers who've spent their whole lives playin' in bars: it's basically bar arrangements recorded like you'd play 'em in a bar. He lost the vitality of his live performance, and it wasn't produced well enough to create a dynamic recording. I've never made a real record, but I understand that it's not about just recording yourself accurately.You can tell that he's a great harper, but it comes across kinda sterile on the CD. (And of course, I'm being picky and critical,but it won't be one of my favorites.) I'd go see him live again in a New York second though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:27 pm

One of the problems with Steve's disc is that there's an antiseptic quality on some tracks which I think is a production issue - actually a lack of production. I've never seen him play but he has some good moments on his CD.

jeffl wrote:
bosco wrote:Cool!

Bosco
Y'know,I didn't even search for clips Bosco. I listened to his CD last nite and today, and I came to the conclusion the CD's not that great. He's a great harper,but the CD seems to be typical of performers who've spent their whole lives playin' in bars: it's basically bar arrangements recorded like you'd play 'em in a bar. He lost the vitality of his live performance, and it wasn't produced well enough to create a dynamic recording. I've never made a real record, but I understand that it's not about just recording yourself accurately.You can tell that he's a great harper, but it comes across kinda sterile on the CD. (And of course, I'm being picky and critical,but it won't be one of my favorites.) I'd go see him live again in a New York second though.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:05 am

Hey BW, great to see you in the forum again!

:wink:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp