Suzuki Bluesmaster

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Suzuki Bluesmaster

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:18 am

I found a mom 'n' pop music store in a little town on the way back from my in-law's house ( a Christmas trip of about 800 miles, round-trip); I had stopped for lunch and the "music shop" sign caught my attention. The old lady runnin' it had a Suzuki Bluesmaster in the harp case and sold it to me for $20.00 (U.S.); she had it marked at $24.95. I figured it was a price that would compare to Pappy's,with freight, and I was right. Anyway, I probably wouldn't have bought it online,since I don't play the Suzukis, but I thought I'd try one. At first play,it seems alot like the SP20s I normally play. Maybe a little brighter on the blownotes, and not as clear on the low draws, but I wasn't comparin' it to a fresh SP20. Screws instead of nuts on the cover plates, and the key marked in gold on top of the comb, rather than stamped on the flange of the cover plate (SP20). Heft is about the same, and the cover plate on the Suzuki has a brace in the middle,unlike the SP20. So far, not much difference between the Suzuki and the SP20, at first glance and play, other than the small differences noted. I haven't taken either one of them apart, since I don't tweak my own harps. My wife and I had a great chat with the lady, and I played a couple of her digital keyboards; she had GREAT prices on those as well. If we'd have stuck around much longer, I think she would've invited us to supper.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:38 am

Hey Bubba - the Bluesmasters are currently my main harp. I like their feel and sound. It turns out the innards are the same as a Bushman Delta frost with the brass reed plates. They seem to be pretty sturdy and it took me a year to finally blow out one.

I too noticed they seemed just a bit brighter when I first started playing them but it's been awhile since I've played an SP20 or any other Hohner so I'm used to their tone now. They are very responsive compared to a lot of other harps I've tried.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:19 pm

songdog wrote:Hey Bubba - the Bluesmasters are currently my main harp. I like their feel and sound. It turns out the innards are the same as a Bushman Delta frost with the brass reed plates. They seem to be pretty sturdy and it took me a year to finally blow out one.

I too noticed they seemed just a bit brighter when I first started playing them but it's been awhile since I've played an SP20 or any other Hohner so I'm used to their tone now. They are very responsive compared to a lot of other harps I've tried.
Hey Songdog,mebbe you can tell me; the one I bought has very light stamping on one plate, and nothing at all stamped on the other side. Is that the way they all come....? I found that kinda interesting, since alotta harps have pretty deep stamping on both plates. Having the key labelled on the top of the comb works fine for me, since I store my harps in the case standing up. I don't know how easy it is to see the labelling on stage though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Yep, they are just stamped on the one side only.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Suzuki Bluesmaster

Postby MasterBlaster » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:41 pm

The Bluesmaster & Delta Frost aren't the same. Bushman uses phosphor bronze reeds, and Suzuki uses brass. After the Delta Frost, the Bluesmaster is my second favorite.
MasterBlaster
Regular

Re: Suzuki Bluesmaster

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:19 pm

MasterBlaster wrote:The Bluesmaster & Delta Frost aren't the same. Bushman uses phosphor bronze reeds, and Suzuki uses brass. After the Delta Frost, the Bluesmaster is my second favorite.
Well,maybe I'll try one of those Delta Frosts soon,too; since I'm not giggin' or sittin' in with anybody lately, and my Wednesday nite jam is apparently defunct,and my weekend jammin' partner told me he's not comin' down 'til Spring (can you tell my music environment sucks lately...?) , I need little things to keep me excited, and $20-$30 is a small price to pay for stimulation of any sort.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Suzuki Bluesmaster

Postby MasterBlaster » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:54 pm

As a serious harp player, you owe it to yourself to try a Delta Frost.
They are MUCH more responsive then a Special 20. They also have a unique sound all their own, due to the phosphor bronze reeds.
MasterBlaster
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:11 pm

MasterBlaster wrote:As a serious harp player, you owe it to yourself to try a Delta Frost.
They are MUCH more responsive then a Special 20. They also have a unique sound all their own, due to the phosphor bronze reeds.
I'll probly do that MB. Thanks for the heads up.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:26 pm

MasterBlaster wrote:The Bluesmaster & Delta Frost aren't the same. Bushman uses phosphor bronze reeds, and Suzuki uses brass. After the Delta Frost, the Bluesmaster is my second favorite.

Actually, I mis-spoke, the Bluesmaster & Delta frost both use the phosphor bronze reeds. I've compared both reed plates and they are 100% identical.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 pm

I guess I'm not at the level where I care what reeds are made of, but I do care about the tonal qualities, and I've got enough ear to hear subtle differences,so I'd try a harp just to test it for its sound. When I compared the Bluesmaster to the SP20,the most noticeable difference was when I just blew or huffed blow chords into them: the Bluesmaster had more sustain,or some kind of "aftertone". It was almost like a very short following wave. It was barely there,but it was there every time. If you own both harps, try it and you'll see. But,again, I was comparing a SP20 with lots of hours on it to a fresh Bluesmaster. Maybe I should try it amplified with both harps and see if it's more identifiable.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:20 pm

I've noticed this too with some of the Bluesmasters though I haven't a clue what would cause it. If you play them amplified they will almost sound as though the harp has its own slight delay or reverb.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MasterBlaster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:04 pm

The Bluesmaster & Delta Frost are similar looking both inside and out. But they don't use the same reeds. Suzuki uses brass, and Bushman uses phosphor bronze. You can go to Suzuki's website and read about the Bluesmaster, where it states brass reeds are used:

http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/mr250/

It's The Best of Both Worlds
Included Custom Case
Combining the affordability of our popular Folkmaster with our world famous Promaster, the new Bluesmaster is an easy to play, easy to own professional harmonica. Stainless steel covers are durable and ergonomically designed for easy handling. Inside, solid brass reeds and an ABS plastic comb give superb sound projection and tonal clarity. The rugged new Bluesmaster is virtually indestructible! And, you'll note the ABS comb for C key is in black, while all other keys are translucent red so you can instantly see where the C key is located. Look good, sound good, feel good, with the Bluesmaster by SUZUKI.
The Bluesmaster is also available in a boxed set. Click here for more information.
MasterBlaster
Regular

Return to Blues Harp