Lee Oscar

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Lee Oscar

Postby oleman » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:27 pm

I emailed Lee Oscar harps and told them that I didn't think it was right that a set of new reeds cost only three dollars less than a new harp.

Lee Oscar himself __called__ me back, not email, and explained his business situation.

That man is a class act!
oleman
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:04 am

and what load did he feed you?
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby oleman » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:02 am

He said that it's the retailers that are the cause of the price disparity. He said his harps should retail at around $40 but the retailers sell them at a discount and make almost nothing on them just to get people in the store or catalog. Does this sound right? Your thoughts?

Still he called instead of blowing me off like so many other companys have that I had a beef with. That was refreshing.....

I'm going back to MBs or what ever's on sale though.
oleman
Regular

Postby steel1953 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:48 am

That's odd Oleman........I just went on our sponsor's website, and the reedplates are $8.00 less, not $3.00
That's a 1/3rd less.

On that same note, here's a real disparity. Can buy Big Rivers for around $11.50. Reedplates are MORE than the harp.............though to be fair, the replacement reedplates are an upgrade.
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:59 pm

Lee Oscar himself called...

Man, that's great, no matter what the pitch was.

That's like calling Realtree and having Bill Jordan call you back.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby steel1953 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:18 am

"Lee Oskar called"............
I have a lot of respect for a person who takes the time to do that. That's what you call "personal" service!

Just checked out your sonicbids link Bosco.....like the tone your guitar player is getting.
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eline » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:33 am

I buy his reply. I use to work in a retail store (hardware) and we would practically give drills away. The reason being was, the retailer wants to get the product (drill/harmonica) in the customers hand and they know they aren't making a great deal of profit of the drill itself, but they also know that the customer will need the accessories to go along with the main product. The real money is made when the customer comes back for the drill bits, readplates in this case, and other accessories. The greater profit is generally going to come from accessories, rather than the main product itself. As stated by others though, it was kind of him to call himself.
eline
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Just checked out your sonicbids link Bosco

Steel-

Please check back again in a few days. We just had a studio recording session last week and we're supposed to pick up the final mix today. There should be a couple more tunes posted with some harp on them.

The cut that's there now (Doin' Life) is an original tune.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:02 am

That is a good story, but I wouldn't pay $40 for a Lee Oskar harp. I think the harps are fine; I own a few. But, I wouldn't pay $40.00 for one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:48 am

Oh Yeah, and it is Lee Oskar..... not Oscar.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Retailers and $40 harps

Postby Splash » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Maybe those retailers found out that people just won't pay $40 for a LO harp. Myself included.

I like my Seydel Soloist Pro right out of the box a hundred times better than any LO I have had. (right out of the box)

Disclaimer: I have never played a Filisko modded Lee Oskar. =8^D

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!
Splash
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:10 pm

Not only would I not pay $40 for a Lee Oskar, I don't even play the ones that were given to me. I won a set of autographed LO's a few years ago in a blues harp contest. I used some of them as backup harps. They are very durable, long lasting harps, but I just don't like the way they feel or play. One of these days I'll figure out that Ebay thing, set up an account and try to sell the set.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp