Newbies question about which harps are of good quality...

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Newbies question about which harps are of good quality...

Postby Arcadiandj » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:28 pm

As a newbie, I was initially steered to Lee Oskars and Special 20s. After visiting this site:

http://www.harmonicaclub.com/phpBB2/vie ... 8&start=60

I decided to try the delta frost-which I have found to be significantly better than the Oskar and Special.

Reading some comments on this forum has made me wonder what you all think. It's my impression that there are more people from different contries with opinions that branch out from the above three mentioned harps. Could any of you steer me towards a harp that will be as good or better than the delta frost? Thank you in advance.
Arcadiandj
Regular

Seydel Blues Soloist Pro

Postby Splash » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:34 am

I recently bought a Seydel Blues Soloist Pro from Rupert Oysler and I really like it. I'm thinking of adding a few more keys to the case.

Rupert told me he prefers the Session model, but I'm old school and like wood.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!
Splash
Regular

Postby resoharp » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 am

Call me old fashioned but I really like the Special 20s. I play a lot, play hard and they keep up wih me!
Good luck!
Resoharp
resoharp
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:35 pm

Welcome to the harp forum,Arcadia. If you're new to harp, there's a fairly good chance that your taste in harps will change and evolve with time. There are many good models of harps suitable for playing the blues,and you'll get some discussion here about which is "the best". One of the obvious decisions to make is whether you want a harp with a wood comb or a plastic comb; there are guys here who hate plastic combs,and guys who love 'em. If you choose wood, then you have to decide whether you want sealed combs or not. If you are new to the harp, I'd find a harp you are pretty happy with, and jus' stick with it until you start solidifying your personal playing style; at that point you can start testing and trying other harps. If you want to try a quality, sealed wood comb harp at this time, you could try a Hering Vintage 1923. The reality is that any good harp will do the job, and even though I play mostly SP20s, you can't go wrong by jus' sticking with Marine Bands and ultimately learning how to adjust the gaps, maybe emboss the slot edges, and make any other adjustments that can be done at home. And if you don't wanna learn to maintain your harps, you'll be fine.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 pm

I'm not really a harp player but I have been playing harp with a rack and URB fri. nites in a beerjoint for the past year and I have bought and played half a dozen brands and have found that I blow out the expensive ones almost as fast as the Marine Bands.

I just bought some colorful Horners for 2 bucks apiece and they sound pretty good but only come in C. I guess its good we play mostly in G.

I wish I could concentrate more on harp instead of bass but I feel fortunate just getting to add that wonderful element to the blues that the harp brings.

Good luck in your search Arcadiandj. I have found that the right amp and mic are as important as the harp.
oleman
Regular

Postby songdog » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:27 am

I play the Suzuki Bluesmaster harps which are basically the same as a Delta Frost if you open them up and peek under the hood. I have a suitcase full of other harps that I've tried and ocassionally like to play (priced $20 - $80), but the Bluesmaster is my main harp.

I tried the Seydel Blues Session and really wanted to like that harp but found them to not be very responsive. After speaking with the previous sales manager for Seydel he said I could make them better by adjusting the reeds , which I did, and adding more screws to make them more air tight. But I felt like I shouldn't have to do all that to a harp that costs $40 :? I haven't tried any of the other Seydel models.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Arcadiandj » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:00 am

Thank you everyone. I love internet forums. You can learn so much. I will probably stay with what I have for now, taking my next venture into an mike and a tube amp. Also educational dvds. And of course keep reading. For now, thank you again.
Arcadiandj
Regular

Postby Erikjr21 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:39 am

You know what is funny the harp i love to play more then any other harp was out of one of those cheap cases i got on ebay, I think it was because my other harps i cherished to much I didn't play them hard becuase of how awsome they were. but it ended up to were i adapted to the cheap one, ive played it for 4 months and going strong. the other ones in the case were shit, it was just this one a harp, i have other great harmonicas like sp20 and a mb. I gues what im trying to say is just play what your comfortable with and what keeps you motivated. Like me I got a good case of nice harps but play the same old one so i dont break the good ones. but it made me love the crappy one becuase i can really play it 8)
Erikjr21
Regular

Return to Blues Harp