Rookie learning his 1st song

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Rookie learning his 1st song

Postby jagarner70 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:14 am

I have been taking lessons since March of this year and I am just now beginning to learn my 1st song. Little Walters Boogie. I have been studying solos and techniques this whole time and it feels great to finally play something extended. I bought a nice vintage crate amp and a green bullit awhile back but I have found that I still need plenty of practice getting the various techiques down. It is fun every now and then to plug in and go a little nutty. Anyhow, I just wanted to give an update on my progress. I visit the forum often and I read most of the informative posts and I appreciatte the help that I receive from this site. I also just received my second harp. A Special 20 in the key of A. And yes I did order it through our sponsor.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:04 am

Hey Jagarner. Nice choice for your first song. Of course Little Walter has so many songs that are good'uns. So many songs so little time :cry:

About a year ago I started concentrating on learning several instrumentals. Little Walter's Juke was the first one I tackled. Then I learned Big Walter's Boogie. Challenging songs for a beginner, but the thing I like about the instrumentals is that once you get the basic structure down, you can improvise until you have learned the entire song. Or you can just use them to improvise period and make up licks or entire measures as you play.

Good luck with your playing.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby flatpaul » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:06 pm

It's really interesting how different people approach learning blues harp.

You've just got your second harp but you already have a decent amp and mic. You're learning a whole tune too - That's crazy. Respect for that! It'll be nice once you've got it down.

I've got quite a few different harps but I've only just thought about getting a mic and amp. I just whack on a cd and try and work out little bits. Or I'll just play randomly and see what happens. I don't really try and learn whole songs. It seems too much like hard work. I'll work out little bits sometimes. I was playing this old country number the other day that my mum used to listen when I was really young. It goes "You picked a fine time to leave me Luceal". Guess that was my first song. Quite easy compared to what you're learning.

I'd like to be able to play that John Lee Hooker track that goes Boom! Boom!

Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and push myself a little bit. I tend to just chill with the harp.
flatpaul
Regular

Just chillin

Postby jagarner70 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Well I also tried to just chill and work on licks and improvise as I went. Sort of just let things come out as I went. I played around with a harp like that for probably 10 years before I decided it was time to actually learn how to play the thing. I bought the amp & mic as a gift to myself after I finished building our new home. Based on my wifes response, I dont think she appreciatted the gift as much as I did. Anyhow, the rig just sits mostly but as I get better I will have some nice gear to work with.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp