kustom 12 watt tube amp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

kustom 12 watt tube amp

Postby roosterblues » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:46 pm

Any body out there practice with this ? they are cheap and was considering buying one until I feel more stage worthy .. At 100 bucks. im not sure i could go to far astray. Also, have seen mixed reviews on Blues Junior amps. I have a newer green bullet mic currently so wanted to get an opinion.
roosterblues
Regular

Postby songdog » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:59 pm

Hey Rooster I haven't played through the Kustom amp but for practicing it just might be worth the $99. It doesn't appear to be an all-tube amp though as the description says it has a 12AX7 preamp tube... if that makes a difference or not. A few other suggestions:

The little Pignose has some great tone for a little practice amp. Or for $99, you could pickup the Epiphone all-tube amplifier head and then find you a cheap speaker to play through. The Kalamazooooo 10W tube amps can go for pretty cheap on EBay and they have a nice gritty tone.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

kustom

Postby roosterblues » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:05 pm

thank you for the info ..
roosterblues
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:41 pm

The Kustom 12 watt "tube" amp only has a tube preamp, and a solid state power amp. I've heard they can be tamed for harp by swapping out the preamp with a lower gain tube like a 12AU7, but for the money I'd go with a valve junior head or valve junior combo. They're a conservative 5 watts, more than loud enough for practice. You need something more powerful for gigging, unless you mic up or line out the amp, or you are lucky enough to find guitarists who play at reasonable volume.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:59 am

I had a kustom tube 12 ... tbruce is right its only a tube preamp nothing more, the amp it self is SS which would be ok but the thing has such hi gain and low volume that its just a screem box. Thats the reason I got rid of it.

The others are right go with a epi head, a pig nose, or a danelectro nifty fifty is pretty sweet SS amp with out all that super gain and the retro look is cool.

If you decide to spend a little more check out my web site I build some really great amps from select vintage and new parts. They are a a leap above just plain old practice amps but well worth it.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Blues Harp