practicing

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

practicing

Postby Erikjr21 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:31 am

I was just wondering what kind of things you personaly practice out of curiousity, I mean when your just sitting there practicing.

I usually practice chugging, on 1234 to work on timing and stopping the air to make it sound musical
Erikjr21
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:58 am

I never have practiced per say. Whenever I pick the harp up, it is to express myself by letting go of thoughts. Practice is all about thoughts. That just doesn't hold my interest. This has served me well. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:55 am

over the years I have licks that developed and just stuck in a slot in my head that I do play almost everytime I pick up the harp to play. I even go back to basics like oh susana, amazing grace etc... now and again just because I like hearing them. Then other times I might try new things that I have heard.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby brianp » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:12 pm

Lately I have been working on putting more octaves into my playing. instead of ending a lick on a 4 inhale I end on 1/4 inhale and then I work on getting the transition from the octave to the next lick smooth so it can just flow and yet seem thicker. I also practice my bends everyday also. Even though I can do them effortlessly I practice them with a tuner to make sure the intonation stays on the money. I also listen to music from artists I am into and try to get their melodies down or if there is a harp player I will work on learning the lines to the song. I may never use the lines even when playing to that song with a band but it adds to my "ideas" I have to draw from when I am playing. Thats a brief summary of what I do. It may change slightly depending on what I need to work on that week.

BrianP
http://www.harpgear.com
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:22 pm

For about a year practice has been learning horn lines, working out parts with the horn section and going over songs with the band.

I keep meaning to work on more chromatic playing (beyond 3rd position) and learning how to overblow, but I've been lazy.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:51 pm

I'll occasionally practice arpeggios or runs,by repeating them until they feel fluid to me,and my accuracy,tone and volume are consistent. If you like to play fast, which may be required on some tunes, you need some repetition to gain speed. Rapid tongueing also requires some practice,especially for consistency of attack and wind control. Much depends on what kind of player you wanna be; you can take Walter's approach,and hope that you can get as good as he is without playin' 200 gigs a year for 15 years or so (which ain't likely),or you can take the approach of a classical musician sitting with a civic orchestra,and practice one or two hours a day,at least 4-5 days/wk.,and I'd include jus' jammin' in that time, OR, you can jus' roll with it and do some solo jammin',try coppin' some licks offa recordings, and start workin' on the things you seem to be havin' trouble with,which will undoubtedly include rapid tongueing ,blowbends,overblows,modulations,arpeggios,holding accurate draws,etc. Most of all,push yersef a little,and have fun.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp