good harp carrying case

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

good harp carrying case

Postby Iron Bear » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Even though I am new to the game I have already purchased several harps. Looking for a good carrying case. Would like something that already looks like it's been around the block for a long time....

Not really a new shiny guy.

Thanks
Iron Bear
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:05 pm

If you click on the the link at the top of the page to our sponsor, Coast to Coast Music, then click on "cases" under the accessories area, you'll see that Pappy has a coupla different Tweed cases available. The tweeds look nice, 'cuz of their association with the various tweed amps, and they scuff up in no time thru normal use. I bought a Fender case from him years ago, and it has held up real well thru occasional giggin', and many,many hard drinkin' jam sessions. It's big enough to hold all the harps you'll need,unless you play alotta different chromatics, and it's got room for a mic and chord, some tools and accessories. It's compact enough to be discreet, and you won't need another one ever, if you don't beat it to death. It's also small enough to sit on top of a very small amp, and doesn't seem to tip; I can't find a thing wrong with mine..it's served me very well. He has smaller cases and belts,too, but they're not as classic lookin', and won't hold mics,tools,and accessories.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:52 pm

Won't give you that classic worn harp look but I use a tool case I picked up at Harbor Freight. About $15 back then. Mine dosen't have the pull out foam but I keep my harps in the tool pouches in the lid and there's enough room in the bottom for my Pignose, a Bluesblaster with cord, a vocal mic with cord, a Strnad mic with cord, Digitech RP-80 with power supply.....and cord, 24 pack of AA batteries (the Pignose and RP-80 can go off the grid), jewler's screwdriver set, bracket I made to hang the vocal mic in front of the Pignose, guitar strap to carry the Pignose around with (says "Police Line DO NOT CROSS" cool huh), Lee Oscar 7 harp soft case if I want to pack light, Mini-Maglight, ear plugs (those guitar guys are really loud), an hand sanitizer.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:27 pm

I've seen more harps in Plano tackle boxes than anything else.
ricochet
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:59 am

An old cassette tape case works perfect, if you get a larger one you can cut out the slots you dont use and use that area for things like mics, delay pedal, wire, chromatics etc. Thats what I use and it works great your harps sit right in a cassette slot like a glove. I have two a smaller one that I started out with and a larger one that I advanced to later.

Or you can spend 80.00 and get a mississippi sax case from coast to coast :-) they look some sweet.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:49 pm

The bottom line for a harp case is to protect your instruments during transport. In that regard it's hard to improve upon the design of the Hohner C12 available from C2C.

They look professional, are extremely roadworthy and besides, everyone's going to know that I've been around the block when they hear me play. They make a great stage case to play out of as well which can't be said of all cases.

I never cared much for the Fender design. They're overpriced and the harps are stored in trays instead of individual compartments. Keeping your harps from banging against each other is what you are trying to avoid. I need something bigger to hold the rest of my gear anyway.

I carry the rest of my gear in a padded laptop computer case. It's perfect for the job. Holds 3-4 mics, multiple cables, effects pedals and has velcro compartments for spare amp tubes, small tools, penlights, etc. The clincher is the folder area for business cards, setlists, lyric sheets, notes and pens.

As in all other things...function before fashion.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluzadero » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:24 pm

My advice is to start right out of the gate with a solid harpcase. Don't waste your time with things that "have always worked for me". I can tell you from personal experience that there is nothing more rewarding than having a case full of harps tumble out of a moving vehicle at freeway speeds and stay closed and intact (long story, bad typing skills).

My suggestions are:

The time-honored Fender case, classic good looks, marginally functional, gives you that air of the tweeded-up musician:
http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0991003000

The Harmonica Masterclass stage case is a very sturdy unit, but it has a bit too much foam and less harp space for my tastes:
http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/harmonic.htm

The recent Hetrick Brothers case is just about as nice as it gets:
http://www.harpcase.com/

As always, your mileage will vary.
bluzadero
Regular

Postby Iron Bear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

Hetrick case is nice!!!
Iron Bear
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Iron Bear wrote:Thanks for all the advice.

Hetrick case is nice!!!
As you can see, posts like that get responses that are all over the map,lol! I never really had a case until I started jammin' regularly again, about 13 years ago. Then,the real problem was that we drank alot when we jammed, so I needed to keep the harps organized or by the time I was done fumblin' for the right key, the tune was over. If you've ever watched Rod Piazza play, he switches harps alot during tunes, and it's on the edge of distracting to watch him movin' harps up in the rotation and settin' them on top of his wife's keyboard. I use the Fender case, and I get about 20 harps in it, mic,mic chord, small delay unit,wall wart (delay power supply),a coupla spare tubes, 2 different harp universal tools, a small flashlight, and a partridge in a pear tree. Everybody's needs are different, and I'd use somethin' different if I wasn't playin' thru an amp alotta the time.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:44 pm

After trying out a few different cases I settled on an aluminium tool case with "pick-out" foam inserts. It holds 14 diatonics (I stand them on end), 2 chromatics, 2 mics, A micro-hush, spare tubes, fuses, cables, LED light, and still has room. Much cheaper than the Fender case, and with more protection. The outside has scuffed around the edges, and it has a few stickers on it.
I also carry alcohol gel hand sanitizer in my case, as if you're at a jam or gig and the restroom facilites for handwashing aren't up to scratch, it can save you getting ill when it comes to handling a harp and putting it in your mouth later.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 pm

I tend to be kind of tight fisted but I don't see much difference between this and the Hetrick case, other than about $87 worth of plastic egg crate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=36870

This is the one that I am using. I keep the harps in the tool pallet which can be removed and set on a music stand or chair.

Home Depot

HUSKY
Husky Aluminum Tool Case

Model CF-1475

Price: $19.97/ea
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby scrapboss » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 pm

I'm with you on that one 1AB - I also have an aluminum tool box from H.F.
It looks the same as the one you are useing except taller and a little more square. It did not have any dividers in it so I set it up to my likeing. It has room for 12 harps, a green bullet w/ 15'cable, extra cable, boss pedal and misc small acc. Looks very much like those for $89.00 and I only gave $7.99 & tax. :shock:
scrapboss
Regular

Postby bluzadero » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:01 pm

The Hetrick case holds two dozen diatonics, a Super64, a couple of Romelized 270's, two bullets, tools, a whiskey flask, a cigar cutter, and a pad for phone numbers.
bluzadero
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:01 am

Oh yeah- gotta have the cigar cutter!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iron Bear » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:17 am

1armbandit,

So did that case from Harbor Freight come with seperators??? Do you keep harps in original boxes?
Iron Bear
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp