Gretsch 6161 amp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:25 pm

"Geeze,this isn't heading in the right direction...." Yer right,Bosco; when he first shot me numbers, I thought it was gonna go real smooth,but it hasn't worked out that way. I won't let it harm our relationship, unless he does something else at this point that's really weird. Even if he decides he doesn't wanna stick more money in it and sell it at this price, that's fine with me; I jus' won't buy it. There's plenty of great harm amps,and you can't own 'em all. Part of the appeal of the amp is the "covet" appeal: it's jus' so damn cool lookin' and so unusual. I sat in with a band on Wednesday night downtown, jus' playin' thru a 58 vocal mic, and we had a blast,so it ain't like you gotta have the perfect rig to have fun and sound good.(Are you guys writin' down all these rationalizations for NOT buying something when a deal starts to go sour....?)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:29 am

Bag it. Buy a solid state Peavey.
angerboy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 pm

I stopped into my trusty music store yesterday and he still had the 6161 sittin' out on the floor. I told him to take the thing home so it wouldn't tempt me anymore,and he told me he'd take it home and save it for me until I felt better about spending the money to buy it. I thought that was nice. Now all I need is a band so I can rationalize buying it. I'm just not using any of my gear right now,except the Champ. I'd even do studio work for small time bands around here,jus' to keep my chops goin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:13 am

The fact that it's sitting there proves that it's a hunk of junk!
angerboy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:04 pm

Angerboy just might have a point there. But it's also true that musicians are herd animals. They flock to what's well known. You can find some great bargains among the less known gear. Many will never take a chance on something that's not a big name.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Well,it's no hunk of junk...I've played through it. I've played harp through a good number of small amps, including tube,ss,and modelling, and the tube amps all definitely have a voice of their own. I've A,B,C'ed 'em enough to know that even a casual listener can tell the difference between amps,once they're told to listen for differences (my wife is an example of this). This Gretsch is a better amp for Chicago style blues harp than either my Champ or my Classic 30. I've also watched a number of Gretsches (Electromatics and Twins) get sold on Ebay in the last coupla months at significantly higher prices for amps in worse cosmetic condition. I'm not concerned about whether it's worth the money or not. I'm concerned about whether or not I'll ever need another amp,given the state of the blues market in clubs around here.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Hey, like I told Bosco, you need to move down here. You can't make any money playing music, but the weather's nicer. I haven't seen any car dealers starving here, either.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:28 pm

ricochet wrote:Hey, like I told Bosco, you need to move down here. You can't make any money playing music, but the weather's nicer. I haven't seen any car dealers starving here, either.
I couldn't move down there,Rico...I'm geared to freezing my ass off in the winter,lol! Actually,it wuz 60degrees f. here yesterday ( 28 this morning ). If our business doesn't pick up, I'll prob'ly leave management and go back to sellin'; at least that way I can control my income a little better. I really don't need to make MUCH money playin' music...just enough to rationalize buyin' the equipment (I've got my eyes on a used Korg drawbar band organ for $800 too,tee-hee)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:30 pm

Sounds like you're having the same weather we are. 8)
ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp