Gretsch 6161 amp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby bosco » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:11 pm

Well that's a load of crap. Does he value the 10 years worth of patronage you've thrown his way at less than $60.00 ???

He obviously is lacking in business sense as you have pointed out.

There are other amps out there, but if that's the one you want..........

Sheese. :oops:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 pm

bosco wrote:Well that's a load of crap. Does he value the 10 years worth of patronage you've thrown his way at less than $60.00 ???

He obviously is lacking in business sense as you have pointed out.

There are other amps out there, but if that's the one you want..........

Sheese. :oops:
I agree that it's a load of crap,but if I do any deals with him in the future, he'll understand when I have him write the quote on paper,lol! I felt like I wuz offering him a fair deal,so I can live without it at the price he now wants. It's not the only great sounding harp amp out there; I'll find another one. He knows what my price is, so if he has second (or third) thoughts, or can't move it for what he wants, he'll let me know. I'm jus' glad I got a chance to play through it so if I run into another Valco with 6by9s, I'll know what I'm lookin' at. I'm not mad at him...he's not the greatest businessman. He's helped me out with lotsa stuff in the past, and this ain't worth burnin' any bridges over. The only other privately owned store in town ain't worth runnin' to.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:15 pm

A-ha-ha-ha-haaaa! I stopped into the music store today to look at a coupla drawbar combo organs he got in ( a Korg and a Hammond- I've always wanted one), and he said,"Jeff,why don't you take the Gretsch amp home for a few days and get to know it; maybe we can work somethin' out." So,screw it; I'll test drive it some more and see what he sez. I think I'm keepin' the Champ though, no matter what I do.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 pm

1. Old Valcos are getting pricier by the day thanks to the wonders of E-Bay.

2. Old Valcos loaded with 6x9s are extremely hard to find.

3. The last two 6161s on E-Bay both had more than 20 bids on them.

You kinda dismissed this one after the deal went sour saying "there are other amps out there", which there are, but at what price? Unless you find something you don't like during your extended test drive, I'd think real hard about letting it get away.

On the other hand, you're an old horse trader from way back and your dealer doesn't seem like an E-Bay type shark, so that should buy you some time to make your decision.

Suggestion- Try to take the amp to an open mic or band jam of some sort to play it. The way an amp sounds at home by itself and the way it cuts through the mix on a loud stage are often two different things. My Bassman and My LectroLab both provide sufficient stage volume for all settings, but my Champ and Pignose can be hard to hear onstage even though they have great tone.

keep us posted.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:39 pm

Based on his actions, I'd take it home and try it out until he asks for it back, but I wouldn't buy it.

Keep your Champ. Tubes and replacement parts like transformers and speakers will always be way easier to find for it. The value of it will keep going up. People will always be buying Fender amps. Twenty years ago, I could buy blackface Champs all day long for $75. Blackface Super Reverbs and Twin Reverbs used to run around $500.

Look at the price of silverface amps lately. They are starting to take off and climb in price like a Boeing 757. There will always be buyers for the classic Fender amps.

While the Gretsch may be nice and funky, you'll get some great sounds out of the Champ. Soon that Champ will cost more to buy used, than it would cost to build a new one from parts. That's a nice feeling.

Screw him.

At least, that's my attitude today. :)
angerboy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:59 pm

There's no doubt about one thing...this amp's got a sound all its own. I've only been playin' thru the bass jack,which eliminates the tweeter,but it still sounds a little like the mids are scooped,with the tone knob right on the bottom. I think it was a good idea to bring it home,cuz I a-b-c'd it with my Champ and my Peavey Classic 30 last nite, and those sure as hell are as different as 3 amps can get,for low to mid-power. The Gretsch doesn't touch the headroom of the 30,but it's plenty loud. The 30's alot cleaner,and has more cut,but it has nowhere near the presence of the Gretsch. Even my wife recognized the depth of the Gretsch right away. I'd love to hear a guitar thru this amp,especially on the tremolo circuit. It sure is pretty,too; classic design.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:13 pm

The amp cut out (to 0 volume) while playing it at about two thirds volume with the mic up about two thirds. I'm gonna fool with it tonite again, and push it a little again,to see if it happens again. I played it on the treble jack, and it sounds alot more like my Classic 30. I'm gonna have to determine if it's cutting out on the treble jack or bass jack, and if it cuts out even without pushing it. I hope the owner doesn't give me any crap about "wrecking" his amp,but I doubt he will; he has played thru it for a long time. It could be that the dynamic mic signal,thru the BLT delay, has an effect on the circuitry that playing a guitar thru it doesn't produce. We'll see. I like the sound though...it's something I don't presently have.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Maybe something like a loose jack, or a volume/gain pot that's getting creaky.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:36 pm

ricochet wrote:Maybe something like a loose jack, or a volume/gain pot that's getting creaky.
That's one minor irritation of those Gretsch knobs: it's nearly impossible to tell where you've got 'em adjusted to,even when you're starin' at 'em from 2 feet away. They're round and smooth,and there's no markings on the switch plate. It's not like I fool with the knobs alot when I'm playin', and there's only a tone knob and a volume knob, but the situation could be better. If it cuts out again, I'll start movin' knobs around and jigglin' jacks, to see if it comes back in. Thanks Rico. It freaked me when it happened, and I thought I might've overheated it, so I jus' shut it off and walked away, and never got another chance to play thru it during the weekend.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:26 am

Don't mean to bore anybody with mundane details of a relatively insignificant pursuit,but I worked out this amp again to see when it cuts out, and at a little less than half throttle on volume,with the mic at about 2/3 (Green Bullet 520DX),after about 10 minutes,it died. I jiggled the plug/jack setup, moved the volume knob around,etc., and nuttin'. I didn't even look at the tubes to see what was left glowin'. If it cuts out that soon, I'll be able to take it back down to the store on my lunch break tomorrow, and have the owner co-pilot another test-drive with me, and figure out what it's doin'. My guess is that it's one of the old tubes. I'm hopin' that's what it is, 'cuz I think he's got this thing significantly underpriced at $450.00, and he knows it. If he has to stick any money in it,he'll just pull outa his offer with me, and either keep it, or re-price it. I don't even need this thing, but I'm startin' to figure out that 6161's are pretty rare, and this thing is very straight. I'm sure havin' fun puttin' it through its paces,but then, there's nothing like the sound of a harp cranked through an old tube amp. I hooked up my Holmes Commander pre-amp to my Peavey Classic 30 to try to approximate the sound of these old 6X9s in the Gretsch, and I just couldn't get the Peavey to "huff" like the old cowboy. (btw Bosco,if we get this figured out tomorrow, I'm gonna take yer suggestion and head back down to an open mic I haven't played for about 3 months, and stick 'er in the boys' ears. I quit goin' 'cuz it's a rocker's paradise,but they had a prurient interest in the blues,and the club owner would buy my drinks.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:20 pm

You're not boring us.....or at least me. The pursuit and shakedown of a vintage amp is half the fun. It was quite a process restoring the Lectrolab, garnering parts, conferring with ol tube gurus, making decisions and watching the whole project come together.

And so worth the wait.

8)
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby steel1953 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:14 am

I may be wrong, but could it be parasitic oscillation? When it cuts out, are the tubes still lit, like it's still on? Once it cuts out, what do you have to do to make it work again? Turn down, or off/on?
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:49 pm

steel1953 wrote:I may be wrong, but could it be parasitic oscillation? When it cuts out, are the tubes still lit, like it's still on? Once it cuts out, what do you have to do to make it work again? Turn down, or off/on?
I didn't fool with it at all when it went down, other than to jiggle the volume and tone knobs,and wiggle the mic jack in the hole. This thing's got a two prong cord,and since I could already tell there was something wrong with it, I wasn't in the mood to find out if the defect had anything to do with a short circuit. When I turned it on again, it worked for about 10 minutes and quit again. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a solder heating up and pulling apart. It's not my problem,'cuz I'm not the guy trying to sell it. I took it back to the store yesterday and told the owner what it was doin'. He fired it up on the counter and left it runnin' for a while and declared that there was nothing wrong with it,because it stayed runnin'. I think he thought the problem was in my bullet cord. I don't know if he thinks I'm buyin' it without knowin' what caused the problem, but he already told me that there's no warranty (which I expected), and I'm not a big fan of "handshake agreements" as far as takin' care of me if it keeps doin' the same thing. I'm also not a big fan of buyin' used equipment that acts up on the test drive. His price would cease to be a good price if I gotta spend a couple hundred on a repair. We'll see what he comes up with. He's actin' like he doen't really care if he sells it to me,so I guess I gotta play it cool too,now. The ball's in his court.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 pm

steel1953 wrote:could it be parasitic oscillation?
That's a really good thought!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Maybe you'll have to play it for 10 minutes ( with two different mics and cords) to prove to him that it's the amp. It looks like just turning it on and letting it sit isn't causing it to cut out, it needs to be driven a bit.

One thing is for sure...somebody needs to have it gone through by an amp tech, and it should be the guy trying to sell it, not the buyer as you pointed out...unless he comes down significantly on his price.

Geeze, this isn't heading in the right direction and it sounds like it's starting to strain your relationship as well.

It'll work out for the best, either way. :wink:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp