lee oskar

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby watertore » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 pm

t bone bruce wrote:I keep meaning to try the Delta Frost, Walter, but Bushman's harps are harder to get in the UK. I'll probably have to order some on-line, no-one carries them locally.

go to their site, and order direct. You can tell John(owner) I sent you. I can't knock them in any way-build wise, customer service, and durability. They just sound raspy to me, and coupled with the plastic comb, just aren't for me in a club or recording situation. I am thinking of a set of soul voices for the street.

http://www.bushmanmusic.com/harmonicas.cfm

Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cdon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:14 pm

watertore wrote:marine band-the only thing I play. they just sound the best to me. Cheap, and last a good amount of time.

Walter,
Given you long-term experience with MBs, how would you categorize the often cited problem of comb swelling? Do you seal your MBs?
cdon
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:31 am

cdon wrote:
watertore wrote:marine band-the only thing I play. they just sound the best to me. Cheap, and last a good amount of time.

Walter,
Given you long-term experience with MBs, how would you categorize the often cited problem of comb swelling? Do you seal your MBs?

I did have that happen alot when I was starting out. I use to soak them in water, because I couldn't afford new ones, and soaking them gives them a sort of second life. I would shave them down with a razor blade, and often, when they dried out, the wood was below the normal mark. Once I stopped soaking them(could afford to buy new ones) I haven't had a problem. I hear some people have a lot of saliva when they play. I guess I don't. As far as sealing my combs, I don't know how to do it, and honestly, don't have the paitence. Once they go flat, I throw them out. If they start to stick, I soak them for a few seconds, repeating until it lossens up, or it goes in the garbage. While on the subject, I don't break them in either. They go right from the box to playing. I don't know where people find time to tinker with them, reseal, etc. I do get a few months out of them, and that is playing gigs, or recording, a couple hours a day, approx. 7 days a week. I like playing them babies instead of tinkering with em! Sorry if rambled on. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Erikjr21 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:03 am

I personaly used to salivate alot and now almost none. I think it has saved me alot of harps to. I can't say what i did that made me stop i just did. Also for any of you who do break them in, not just mb's but all kinds how long do you warm them up before you feel its safe to start bending and playing hard? Also the biggest way i have saved a few bucks as far as not messing my harps up is not putting them directly in my pocket (when i think about it) and keeping my mouth clean. My last mb lasted tell i got drunk and got sand in it. The one i have now is in good condition and havent had no problem with swelling due to the fact that my mouth stays dryer while playing these days. 8)
Erikjr21
Regular

Postby cdon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:10 am

Thank you Walter... I appreciate your comments. I remember that when I first started, it wouldn't be too long before I choked up the reeds with moisure. Doesn't happen any more. Hummm... wonder if it has anything to do with aging? :(

Have a good time on your radio outing. I plan to listen.
cdon
Regular

Postby steel1953 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:20 am

Oscars are expensive, but...........I like them for these reasons.
They get more of an organ,or accordian like tone. Great for polkas!
Easier to play quietly, with more finese right out of the box.
Replacable reedplates. For me, that's a must. I bought out the local music stores supply of reedplates for less than $10 apiece many moons ago when they weren't selling, so I'm still ahead of the game.
Different tunings. I currently use both the natural minor, and melody maker tunings on songs when I play out. The "Munsters" theme song lays out nicely on Nat. Minor.

That being said, I use mostly Big Rivers. Some SP 20's and Oscars. But then again, I work on mine.

And I have to say, when I play a MB or blues harp, that sounds more like "the real thing" that I heard on all the old blues record growing up. Rice Miller for example.........
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Blues Harp