lee oskar

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

lee oskar

Postby Erikjr21 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:44 am

can you guys tell me what you think of lee oskar's harps? I want to break away from what i use and start trying around, and was hopping you could save me the bucks if they suck.
Erikjr21
Regular

LO's

Postby nelliep » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:54 am

Well they might not be everyone's favourite but i don't think anyone would honestly say that they suck.

The thing is that some people dislike the equal tuning which produces a brighter ,some say tinnier, sound than Hohner harps. So some say they are less 'bluesy'. Having compared one against another I kind of agree, especially when using chords. However, a lot of the tone is still down to the player to be honest.

I like the way they feel (they have a plastic comb) and I certainly find they last longer. Some may disagree with my last point, but I got fed up with Hohners as they just didn't seem to last long enough whereas the LO's seem to go on and on. Also, I play a lot of single note playing and so I don't mind the equal tuning and they always seem very responsive.

If I were to choose a Hohner I would probably go for a special 20 because I just think wooden combs on Marine Bands suck (but don't tell anyone I said so because some regard THAT as heresy! :) )
nelliep
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:23 pm

I don't like them and I've discussed why in other Topics. I would recommend buying one if you're interested in trying them. If it's the right harp for you, buy more.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:30 pm

I've got a bunch of 'em in my case,but I basically don't play 'em, except on some mostly non-blues tunes, where I've got some single note rhythmic,melodic lines to run. I don't like the sound of chording on them, and I don't necessarily like playin' octaves on 'em. They're marked nicely on top of the comb,so if you stand 'em up in your case, you can see the key markings easily.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:36 pm

you are going to get a million different opinions on the subject of "what is a good harp to play".

Here is mine in a nut, and as you can see, it conflicts with some here: wood has infinitely better tone than plastic

marine band-the only thing I play. they just sound the best to me. Cheap, and last a good amount of time.
special 20-sounds like tin can
lee osker- sounds like tin
hering vintage 1923-sound/play great, but wear out 5 times quicker than a marine band.
bushman delta frost and soul voice- last a long time, but sound distorted
customized harp- for $100 I never will try one for that kind of $ I can get about 7 stock marine bands with my hohner endorsee discount, or about 6 via the net.

walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:11 pm

"Wood has better tone than plastic." Walter; that ain't the wood that sounds better. That's YOU,lol! You get better tone racked than most guys do with a two-handed death grip on their harp. And, you know I like SP-20s,bro'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:03 pm

jeffl wrote:"Wood has better tone than plastic." Walter; that ain't the wood that sounds better. That's YOU,lol! You get better tone racked than most guys do with a two-handed death grip on their harp. And, you know I like SP-20s,bro'.

thanks for those kind words. I really do hear a lot of difference in a wood and plastic comb, and like I said earlier, as what harp is good and what is no good, and you will get a ton of different answers. It all boils down to what makes you feel right. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:13 pm

"It all boils down to what makes you feel right." I agree with that Walter; Hell,half the reason I like SP20s is 'cuz I like the feel and heft of 'em. I guess it's not much different in that respect than guitars. Alotta people play guitars that feel good in their hands, on top of the tones they get.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:29 pm

jeffl wrote:"It all boils down to what makes you feel right." I agree with that Walter; Hell,half the reason I like SP20s is 'cuz I like the feel and heft of 'em. I guess it's not much different in that respect than guitars. Alotta people play guitars that feel good in their hands, on top of the tones they get.

exactly, and I am glad we have found what works for us. I remember sonny terry was blowing some golden melodys. I went right out and bought some. After a bit, I figured they didn't work for me- and man I thought I had found the secret to his sound :D I guess the moral of the story is - go out and buy all the harps, and see what you like. Take care. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:46 pm

It does help though,when people can tell you what the different characteristics of different instruments or gear are; it gives you a cue as to what to listen for in making your own decisions. I know that I've made purchases based on hasty decisions,without adequate information,and initially been satisfied for a while, only to have the true colors of the equipment show themselves to my dissatisfaction later. I appreciate the members of this board sharing their experiences in areas that I'm not well educated or experienced in.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Erikjr21 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:20 am

First off id like to thank you all for replying so fast and in good numbers that was very helpful seeing all the opinions from you guys.

I only have so much of a budget each check to spend on harps and gear. So in case you were wondering i went with a special 20 and a golden melody for now. Im trying to fill up my case with all the harmonicas i here at least some good things about with the key that fits the slot so i might try a oskar eventually . I already have owned 2 marine bands and would sugguest everyone owns one they seem very classic to me and just motivate me a little. much like getting a new harmonica in general 8)

what about big rivers?
Erikjr21
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:53 pm

Paul Delay uses Big River harps, and I guess that's probably a fair endorsement. But personally I don't like the huge "shelf" of brass reedplate each side of the comb on any of the MS series harps. I like Lee Oskars, as they are the longest lasting harps of the many I've had. I'm not saying they're indestructible, but they last longer than just about anything else I've tried, and I've never had a duff one out of the box.
That said, I'll be getting some Sp20's next. I like the Sp20 a lot, but for years they had a chrome plated coverplate, and so would discolour and rust. Now they're made with a stainless coverplate that problem should have gone, so they'll be appearing back in my gig case at some point.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby watertore » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:12 pm

t bone bruce wrote:I like Lee Oskars, as they are the longest lasting harps of the many I've had. I'm not saying they're indestructible, but they last longer than just about anything else I've tried, and I've never had a duff one out of the box.

have you tried the bushman line- delta frost-soul voice? they are near indestructable, and have cheap reed plate replacements
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:10 pm

As everyone has said, personal choice.
I keep a set of lee Oskars at home for practice and noodling. The interlocking boxes are great and it's easy to have a full set of keys with lids open on the desk if you are trying to work out the key of a particular song. They are also easy to get here in the backwoods of Oz.(I was going to say the arse-end of Oz!) And their natural minors are great for experimenting with minor blues.
I don't gig with them though.
I have tried Herring Blues. Vintage 1923's, Bushmasters, Special 20's Marine bands and a couple of customised Marine Bands (before the Vintage 1923's were available).
My choice of harp axe for playing with a band is the Suzuki Promaster (non-valved). Aluminium comb - a bit like a poor man's Masterkleisse.
I keep a full set of the usual suspects in my gig case.
I just like the feel of them in my hand and mouth and the sound seems to suit too - somewhere between a Lee Oskar and a Special 20.
They are not easy to get locally but I vave no trouble keeping stocked via our host Coast to Coast Music who has competitive prices and fast delivery.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:23 pm

I keep meaning to try the Delta Frost, Walter, but Bushman's harps are harder to get in the UK. I'll probably have to order some on-line, no-one carries them locally.
t bone bruce
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp