bottle of blues mic and smokey amp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby Jiminator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:19 am

steel1953 wrote:

Jiminator, still practicing?.........

I'm ALWAYS practicing something, Bro! I have a keyboard that I'm only marginal at playing, a guitar that I'm slightly better at playing, and a harp that looked like it would be easier than the other two to play but turned out to be the most difficult of all! (The harp IS the most fun of all three, tho!)
Soooo........Practice, practice, practice! Oh yeah, I'm looking at getting a bass, too. I'm trying to set a record for simultaneously sucking at the most instruments, I guess! Ha!
Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Postby Jiminator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:25 am

harphack wrote:well, we have plenty of boyz from illinoiz i see. i am from the rockford area. Jiminator, glad the B.O.B. mic is working well, for you. i enjoyed your review of it. it was nice hearing from someone in a similar situation as mine. i have been leaning towards getting one but now i am going to as well. thank you for sharing your experience with us.

ed

Ed,
Thanks for reading my humble post/review! I'm still having a great time with my new mic! Please post back and let me know what YOU think of your B.O.B. mic once you get it. I'd love to know!
Regards,
Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Postby Jiminator » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:38 am

bosco wrote:>

Jim-

The basic cause for this is using an underpowered amp without enough headroom. If you are forced to turn the mic up to full throttle to get the necessary volume, it is basically on full sensitivity and will pick up every breath, bump, knock and rustle. If you have an amp with enough power to leave the volume control on your mic at half volume or less you can eliminate about 80% of the ambient noise.

If two mics provide different levels of ambient noise with the same amp, the quietest mic is also generally the less efficient of the two.

Bosco

TOTALLY! The volume control on my new bottle mic is a Godsend! My "no-name" dynamic mic has no such thing and I had to turn the gain really high to try and "drive" my little solid state amp to get a cool blues tone. Unfortunately this also meant I heard EVERYTHING else, too! It sucked! Now I turn the gain high, the volume on my mic about 1/2 and wail away! I can adjust the amp volume to a comfortable listening level and still get a cool blues tone. Interestingly enough, the features that make this a cool sounding harp mic also make it really distort vocals. So naturally, I have no choice but to try and incorporate it into my next home recording project! Ha!
Thanks so much,
Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Postby Erikjr21 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:51 am

I ordered one of the mics today. Figured it would be worth the money to have some fun with it. I didn't get the amp I might just get one of the honey comb ones off the coast to coast page,

Have any of you tried them?
Erikjr21
Regular

Re: bottle of blues mic and smokey amp

Postby steamrollin stan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:30 am

Well i'm buyin one of these things and if its no good then i'll let ya's know...
steamrollin stan
Regular

Re: bottle of blues mic and smokey amp

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 am

You can give the Smokey (I got mine - used of course - for $1.04 on eBay) a lot more firepower if you use an external speaker. They seem pretty flexible - I've plugged mine into everything from 8 ohms (a 6 1/2", 5W speaker) to 16 ohms (a 412 280W cab!).

You can even use a car radio speaker - almost anything will work. Just solder on a short length of speaker wire and 1/4" jack then connect to the output of the Smokey with a standard guitar cable. You can mount the whole thing in a fancy speaker box, or just cut up some polystyrene foam (with a saw!) and glue it together to make an instant cab. Or just rest it on the ground! You can make some interesting sounds for very little investment, and it makes a Smokey a whole lot louder.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby Jaybird803 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Erikjr21 wrote:I ordered one of the mics today. Figured it would be worth the money to have some fun with it. I didn't get the amp I might just get one of the honey comb ones off the coast to coast page,

Have any of you tried them?

The Honey Tone is not much better than the Smokey in my humble opinion. However for a small amount more you might consider a Pignose amp. I think that as far as battery powered amps go, it would be more satisfying.. Nice sound and you could find a used one for around $40-50. Have fun, play a lot; and practice ,practice ,practice.
Jaybird803
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp