What do you recomend for harp holder?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

What do you recomend for harp holder?

Postby steel1953 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:07 am

When I play solo, I use a harp holder so I can play some backup for myself. My problem is no matter how tight I tighten the holder ( unless I use pliers, then I can't take it off ) is gets pushed forward/down, specially when I play in the upper register.
Does anyone make one that doesn't do this? Or do any of you have one that works for you?

Best Lil Harp House had one, but then you couldn't sing...........

Thanks for any and all help........Brian
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:43 am

I've been using one like

http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HH154.html

for years. I play a variety of Diatonics, 2 Natural Minors, and a big ol' Tremolo Harp.

The rack is long, so it accomodates odd harps.

I use a rubber band to help it out.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:44 pm

allanlummox wrote:I've been using one like

http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HH154.html

for years. I play a variety of Diatonics, 2 Natural Minors, and a big ol' Tremolo Harp.

The rack is long, so it accomodates odd harps.

I use a rubber band to help it out.

That looks like a hohner rack. The harps don't stay in near as good as you would think with such a beefy looking thing. I continue to use the basic dylan/jimmy reed type rack. It remains the best deal in the music world. I started with one about 35 years ago, and it cost around $6. I think they go for around $8 now. It takes time to get use to a harp rack. Most people don't put enough time into getting use to it. Here is my set up, and below about 600 songs that use the rack on most of the songs. Walter

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:33 am

This one from Lee Oskar holds the harp quite securely, however, it does not work on the big harps like shown above by allan lummox.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby steel1953 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:03 am

Actually guys, I have no problem with the harps in the holder. It's the bolt/wingnut tightener that slips and cause the holder to move forward.
You're right Allan. It does take a different embrochure to play with a holder. Took me a while, but I'm pretty comfortable with it now. I can usually get it tight enough for all the playing......except when I start doing blow bends in the upper register ( Jimmy Reed, etc ). I play a lot of upper register.
That's when it starts slipping..........

I tried putting some lock washers between the holder and the wingnut. Didn't help much.
I thought about somehow fastening one of those things like they have on boom mike stands, with the grooves in them. But most holders, mine included, couldn't take being welded to.
One other thing. I noticed Allan that your holder is a lot taller than mine. Puts the harp more level with your head/lips.
Any ideas?........[/quote]
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 am

steel1953 wrote:
It's the bolt/wingnut tightener that slips and cause the holder to move forward.

Does your holder have one screw/wingnut or 2? I haven't had a problem with the ones that have two wingnuts. The holders with only one wingnut do slip a lot.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby steel1953 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:58 am

Mine only has one wingnut..................I'll have to do some research as to what/which ones have 2.
Thanks Neon...............what kind do you use?

Brian
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:05 am

I use the one pictured above, the Lee Oskar but I mostly use short little diatonics. I had one with the single wingnut once. It didn't stay put so good.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Harper Bluze » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:01 pm

I Use the K&M neck rack from Bushman. It has knobs instead of wing-nuts. It is the best build rack that I have used. It holds the harp tight and does not move around.
Harper Bluze
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:49 am

Yeah, she's got great knobs.

NEONMOONY
Regular

Return to Blues Harp