impedance question

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

impedance question

Postby scrapboss » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I am going to play my green bullet through a Boss BD2. My question is does the BD2 transform the line out to Low Z or do I need a Hi Z to low Z transformer on my line out to plug into a board? I bought the BD2 used and cheap so I thought I would give it a try on jam night. Also, Do I use my volume pedal before or after the BD2?
scrapboss
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:30 pm

The output is likely to be classed as High Z, as it's designed to run into a guitar amp. Is there a high Z input on the board? If so use that. Otherwise put the pedal into a DI box, then into the board.
Volume pedal before BD2, as you want to be able to cut the volume on the way into the pedal, not after the pedal has amplified it.
I think you'll be less than ecstatic about the results though. Usually running a harp mic through a distortion or overdrive pedal is a recipe for feedback, as a mic is entirely different from a guitar pickup, and the pedal usually boosts the treble frequencies, which we as harp players don't want. I've never got a good result from any overdrive pedal I've tried, reverb or delay/echo are usually the effects that work well.
Having said that, Peter "Madcat" Ruth uses a Blues Driver with his Madcat Shaker mic, but from what I've heard these are a bit weak in output anyway.
t bone bruce
Regular

Return to Blues Harp