PappyJ in The Baltimore Sun

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

PappyJ in The Baltimore Sun

Postby dcblues » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:47 pm

There's an article in today's Baltimore Sun about our humble instrument. Our fearless leader is quoted in it, and his picture is in the print edition. Way to go John!

Here is the story:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/li ... 8003.story
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Cool!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Kids with savant type talent spook the crap outa me! They are such simple beings when they're young,able to perform unencumbered with the mental and emotional detritus of life. I saw an 8 yr. old female singer/evangelist at a revival meeting when I was a teenager. She preached like Billy Graham and sang like Mahalia Jackson. She had a voice like you couldn't believe could come out of an 8 yr. old.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PappyJ in The Baltimore Sun

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:46 pm

This had me laughing,
PappyJ in the Baltimore Sun wrote:"It's so small, you can take it anywhere to practice, and nobody can hear how awful you are,"
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pappyj » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:14 am

Thanks DC! It's funny what three quotes a reporter will pull from a two hour interview. I in fact did say that about the "awful sounds" and that many beginners like to practice in private until they get better and a small instrument works well for that. I also said that around Christmas we get a lot of calls from parents wanting to buy harmonicas for their kids, but I also specifically said that we had not yet seen this trend this summer due to the LD Miller TV exposure . It sure doesn't read that way though! Overall I thought the reporter did a decent job of researching the article and gave some good exposure to our instrument. It was front page of the "Today" section and if the article had been all on the same page it would have covered almost the whole page, so it was a decent sized article.
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby dcblues » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:48 am

The only thing that disappointed me about the article is that Baltimore's paper, in an article about the harmonica, didn't mention one of Baltimore's most important and famous players - Larry Adler.

And the bit about Little Walter being the first player to use an amp is questionable (Snooky Pryor, Big Walter, George Smith and others may have done that before him).
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 am

dcblues wrote:And the bit about Little Walter being the first player to use an amp is questionable (Snooky Pryor, Big Walter, George Smith and others may have done that before him).

True, but most "off the shelf" easy reference bvooks will repeat the Wlater story so un less the author was an afficianado he would be unlikely to know any better. At least he had enough knowledge to cite Walter as the man to listenb to rather then, say, Dan Ackroyd.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:12 pm

Nicely done Pappy, way to go!

not yet seen a trend this summer due to the LD Miller TV exposure

God, I hope not. Although it would be nice for John to sell a ton of harmonicas, the thought of thousands of grade schoolers yelping on harps gives me chills. What goes unsaid is that only one kid in a thousand is going to be able to play like that.

Kids with savant type talent spook the crap outa me! They are such simple beings when they're young

This is the first I've heard of this kid as I don't watch network television. Just finished watching several clips of LD on Youtube. While he does have savant type talent, the kid ain't simple...in fact he's run with it and become a full blown poser. Black leather pants. Spiked hair. Stomping around club footed like he's having a siezure. He's not big on humility either...thrusting his arms in the air like he's the next messiah.

Just what the world needs...Popper Jr. :roll:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:04 pm

Bosco: nobody's better at mimicking than children...I think that speaks to their simplicity,but I'm no child psychologist.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp