got a good deal

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

got a good deal

Postby scrapboss » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:11 am

http://www.theinstrumentstore.net

Got a new set ( all 12 keys )of Pro Harps from these guys for $210.00 & free shipping. First time I have bought any harps on-line.
Do any of you sterilize your new harps. I usually dip them in Listerine before playing a new harp. I will also do this after playing out if I also have been having cocktails.
scrapboss
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Boss-

I don't rinse harps in anything. The reeds and reed plates are made of brass and any liquid they come into contact with will promote corrosion. When playing, I will rinse my mouth with water after taking a drink of beer to remove the sugar from my mouth.

Just a friendly reminder that this site is sponsored by an online harp retailer who's link you can find at the top of this page. If you purchase there, you get a set of the blue notes next to your name and avatar that signify your support of our host.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Why would you want to clean a new harp? There are laws to stop people trying them out in the shop.
I do clean my harps occasionally, if I've played a particularly smoky venue or I've had a cold. I use denture cleaning tablets, which are OK on the brass. The reedplates are going to corrode a bit anyway with the moisture in exhaled breath, so I'm not worried about an occasional wash doing them harm, I just make sure that they're aired properly before putting them away again.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby scrapboss » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 am

bosco wrote:Boss-

Just a friendly reminder that this site is sponsored by an online harp retailer who's link you can find at the top of this page. If you purchase there, you get a set of the blue notes next to your name and avatar that signify your support of our host.

Bosco

Oh man- My bad. I should have checked on this before I posted this. No disrespect intended toward anyone at coast2coast. They are a very reputable and respected business. Sorry Guys. Suppose I oughta buy summpin' :oops: :oops:
scrapboss
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 am

"Suppose I oughta buy sumpin'." Don't worry. If you're like most of the rest of us,you will. If nothin' else,check out their books,CDs,accessories (like tool kits)....if you start diggin' thru their harp gear,you'll find somethin' you like.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Harp Prices

Postby pappyj » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:54 am

That's OK, I welcome these comparisons. I checked their site and except for an occasional odd price their pricing as a whole on harmonicas is higher than ours, in some cases MUCH higher. Their Lee Oskars are almost $29.00! (vs $23.95) They have no accessories to speak of. I'll still put Coast to Coast Music up against anyone out there for the best combination of product selection, price, and service. In fact I do every day!
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:01 am

I've got nothing but praise for Pappy's selection and service.
I went around to all the local Lawrence KS music stores to see if there was anyone local for that "gotta have it right now" purchase.
Lee Oskar major diatonic (they didn't really know what it was) $48.

I'll wait for the mail to get here. Thank you very much.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:57 pm

I'll wait for the mail to get here

And you don't have to wait very long!

I've ordered harps from Pappy on Tuesday morning and had them by Thursday afternoon. The service is top notch.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby qtheblues » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Whilst we're on the subject of C2C Music, I'd like to say that you're sooooo lucky that you guys over the pond from us in UK have a supplier like them.
According to their site, a Blues Blaster is a little under $80. You wanna guess how much they are here? Around $200 plus shipping! Really. And they're like gold dust to try and source. Hardly anyone carrys them in stock, but will order if you'll wait. I hit 7 shops in London over the weekend, 'caus I didn't want to wait.....nada. Ended up securing a Astatic with a NOS Turner element from Ebay.
Consider yourselves lucky fellas.
qtheblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:27 am

Yeah, but over here I just need a single BA #1 nut. I ended up having to buy a boatload of #1 nuts and setscrews to get to the minimum order amount from the principal U.S. dealer of old British standard fasteners, pay a substantial minimum UPS shipping fee, and bought the British thread gauge the website popped up to tempt me, so I ended up paying $40 to get a single 20¢ nut. My wife says my brain is screwed and I'm nuts.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 am

ricochet wrote:Yeah, but over here I just need a single BA #1 nut. I ended up having to buy a boatload of #1 nuts and setscrews to get to the minimum order amount from the principal U.S. dealer of old British standard fasteners, pay a substantial minimum UPS shipping fee, and bought the British thread gauge the website popped up to tempt me, so I ended up paying $40 to get a single 20¢ nut. My wife says my brain is screwed and I'm nuts.

And you think we're going to disagree with her?
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:52 am

I didn't ask.

Actually, 20¢ is exorbitant for one little nut.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Blues Harp