Dano Slap Echo or DigiTech Digital Delay?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Dano Slap Echo or DigiTech Digital Delay?

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:24 pm

I own both of these delays and after playing thru them both equally as often over the last coupla years, I'm startin' to think that from a subjective viewpoint, I like the sound of the Dano better. The DigiTech is more versatile,but I think the Dano might be clearer. Considering that I only use a slight amount of delay on either one,and also limit the repeats to only a few degrees on the dial, versatility is rarely an issue. I know a few of you guys have used both....whadda ya' think. (I also like the light weight and compactness of the Dano,since I can't get the DigiTech in my harp case with all the other crap.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:09 pm

Hey Bubba.

I haven't tried either of these pedals but I looked into them after reading some of your posts on using some delay.
Problem is I needed a volume pedal and then it looked like I would end up with a box of stuff to set up everytime I went out to jam. So I got the Digitech RP80 of Ebay for $30. I don't know how the sound compares to the Digitech Digital Delay but might be fun to A-B them if I ever get the chance.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:26 pm

I don't use a volume pedal. Both my 520DX Shure and my Blues Blaster have knobs. I actually like the control on the Blaster for a different reason: it seems to have 3 different gain stages, the top two of which really make a difference in how brown you want your tone. The middle gain stage breaks up alot less,and is good for cleaner playin'. The Shure is much more consistent all the way through for some reason. I'm pretty sure that they are two different switch designs. Having said that, I rarely use my Blaster,and keep it mainly as a backup,along with a 57. I no longer play thru an amp without a delay,ever.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:35 pm

I have a knob on my...BluesBlaster also, but coordinating my fingers to hold the mic/harp combo and then get my pinky around to roll the volume wasn't cutting it. Then if I need to bump the the volume on the amp I can kick the volume pedal down and approach the amp without it having a screamin' fit.

You are right about the switch on the BB. It is basically a three position switch on mine. I just turn it full up and let it go.

BTW weren't you looking at another 520 without a volume knob. You can never have too many.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Last month I modified my dan-echo for a higher impedance input, having got the info from here: http://www.e-basteln.de/harp/
I found the "tone sucking" qualities more evident with my Bluesblaster than the CM element, and as the dan-echo was way out of warranty, and I've got used to wielding a soldering iron I made the mod. The difference is quite clear, the bottom end is not lost. Unfortunately the battery had crapped out by the time I took it to a jam to use. I'm waiting for the next jam to see how it performs "live" rather than in my sitting room.
I'm also tempted by Behringers digital delay DD100 pedal, but thefact it's got a 500K input impedance puts me off.....
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Yeah bandit,I wuz lookin' at that knobless bullet,but I didn't buy it. I decided that if I'm gonna sink more money in mics that I'm better off buyin' a vintage bullet off Gruenling or one of the other boys,even if I gotta drop $200, or maybe more for the right mic. And, t-bone, I always use the wall wart for my delays,'cuz I can't stand havin' a battery go dead on me, and I lost my re-charge kit somewhere (darn). I've had batteries "brown out" on me when I'm playin' and it is a rather interesting experience: it's like farting at a funeral.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp