Shure 545 or PE54?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Shure 545 or PE54?

Postby Bludha » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:55 am

I've been looking for an alternative in addition to my Shure 520D Green Bullet--just something different to try in the nature of a Butterfield mike. I understand he used Shure 545's and PE54's.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? Any comparisons between the old 545, old PE54, and current 545 models?

I'm looking for a high impedance set-up; I understand the 545 is set up for low impedance (although the new one is switchable to high), while the PE54 is set up for high impedance.

And what about the added weight of the pistol grip on the older models?

Thanks for any comments, and please forgive me for asking so many questions in one post!
Bludha
Regular

Postby angerboy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:57 am

Well, if you believe what you read the new ones aren't as good as the old ones.

I'm probably going to get creamed for this. Personally, I don't care for this microphone. I don't like the weight the pistol grip adds. They sound pretty good, but I think some of the other Shure dynamics are equivalent or better and they don't come with the added weight and the inflated cost that is associated with the Paul Butterfield Factor.
angerboy
Regular

Postby blues_man_dan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Try the Shure PG57... It is made to mic brass instruments according to Shure and provides less feedback at higher volumes... I love the sound as an alternate cleaner tone when the crunch of a bullet is not what you would want. Here's an older post...

http://www.bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3521&highlight=
blues_man_dan
Regular

Return to Blues Harp