Question from a newbie

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Question from a newbie

Postby jasonrunguitar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm

So I just started playing harmonica. I picked one up at the local music store the other day (a Hohner Marine Band). Here's my problem though: most everything sound right, except my 1-draw. I mean, my 2-draw gets a little shaky if I don't concentrate hard, but the 1-draw sounds absolutely terrible. I think the best word to describe it is 'breathy'. It has very little tone, most of what you hear is just an inhale of air. It's also really hard to inhale on the 1. 1-blow sounds wonderful, but as soon as I try 1-draw, inhaling becomes terribly hard and, like I said above, the tone is almost non-existant. Is this a technique problem that I just need to work on, or should I go get a different harp? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
jasonrunguitar
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:48 pm

Ignore the one draw. There's lotsa things for a beginner to worry about before you gotta worry about somethin' you'll never use anyway. Spend your efforts on the draws from the 2-hole on up,and jus' learnin' your way around the harp. Leave the tough draws (at the extreme ends of the harp) and the blow bends 'til much later. You can play 98% of the tunes you'll ever play without learnin' the toughest stuff first.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gogs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 am

You don't say what key your harp is in,is it a G by any chance?I have A,C,D and G and the 1 draw on the G sounds exactly you describe.The other three are clear as.
gogs
Regular

Postby jasonrunguitar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:35 pm

This one is a C. I guess that's one idea: I could buy a different key, and see if I have the same problem on that one as well.
jasonrunguitar
Regular

Return to Blues Harp