Bending! YAYAYAYAYAY

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Bending! YAYAYAYAYAY

Postby Bournio » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:37 pm

I just did it! Woo!
Bournio
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:56 pm

Congratulations! You are now firmly on the road to being a real blues harp player. I remember when I first bent a note purposely. Now I'm trying to learn to do it again while tongue-blocking. I still have to switch back to pucker to get full bends, but it's getting there, slowly.
Bruce
t bone bruce
Regular

bending a note

Postby colmanL » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:59 am

bending a note always starts at hole #2 with blues. look at every note
with a word type sound. start with vowls A,E,I,O,U. AND YOU GET A DIFFERENT TONE each time. now draw in on hole #2 and pronounce A .
hold that note a few beats then pronounce ALL. thats A---ALL. with that
dip of your tongue,from A to ALL THAT REED WILL BEND! this is the
science of bending a note. keep at it and before long you`ll be honkin`
this is the launching pad for a lot of good harp playing. try it you will
will be on your way. DO-IT-TO-IT.......
colmanL
Regular

Postby qtheblues » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:03 pm

What did it for me (the first time) was that an old guy told me that to form your mouth for bending a note, you can practise anywhere - without a harp!
He said I should practice trying to whistle 'backwards', by whistling on drawn breath as opposed to blow whistling. When you can do that, you then make a noise like a Swannie Whistle, and from there you just stick a harp in front of your lips and away you go (with a bit of practice).
Yeah, I thought, r i g h t.......
Damn,it worked!! Don't know if it was coincidence or design, but what I'd been trying to do for ages just fell into place.
I've passed the advice on to my grandchildren.....worked for them too!
qtheblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:28 pm

Congrats Bournio--it's a whole new world out there! 'N' T-bone,atta boy...keep up the effort! Time flies,too,believe me; you'll be pickin' up all kindsa techniques,now that you know seemingly impossible things can become 2nd nature. Before long (yeah,right....) you'll be doin' upper register blow bends with vibrato,lol.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 am

qtheblues wrote:What did it for me (the first time) was that an old guy told me that to form your mouth for bending a note, you can practise anywhere - without a harp!
He said I should practice trying to whistle 'backwards', by whistling on drawn breath as opposed to blow whistling. When you can do that, you then make a noise like a Swannie Whistle, and from there you just stick a harp in front of your lips and away you go (with a bit of practice).
Yeah, I thought, r i g h t.......
Damn,it worked!! Don't know if it was coincidence or design, but what I'd been trying to do for ages just fell into place.
I've passed the advice on to my grandchildren.....worked for them too!

Yeah, that's how I figured it out as well.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp