new to the scene

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

New To The Scene

Postby cowboyjake » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Hey Bosco

Thanks for the advice--I've got one special 20 (in A) -- and I'm really startin to like it--I got a feelin' it's gonna be a constant companion for a long time to come, and I know there's no logic to it, but for some reason, my wife and son seem to hear somethin special in my playin when I'm blowin a wood comb--go figgure -- for me it does seem to have a better feel, but nothin I can put my finger on :lol: ya know what I mean ...hadn't thought of the Marine Band, around my neck of the woods their ain't much difference in price, maybe I'll try one if I can talk my sweetie into walkin down to the music store with me ...
cowboyjake
Regular

Postby TerrR » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:55 am

I think the Big River was a good move. I bought a couple recently and I'm impressed with the quality and sound. And, after learning to bend on a Big River, any of the more expensive Hohners, Lee Oskars, and especially Bushman Delta Frosts, will be a breeze to bend.
TerrR
Regular

new to the scene

Postby patfitz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:08 am

Get a Lee Oskar, best harps for the money.
Plus you can replace the reeds. I am so pissed
at Hohner for not doing that after they promissed it
years ago. Plus, Lee is a cool harp player.
In my younger days playing 8-10 hours a day
I would blow out a hohner in 1-2 days, a lee oskar would
last a week with hardly a bit of corrosion on the cover plates.
Get an Oskar they are the better instrument and you will
be less likely to lose it because you will love it soooo, much.
Patfitz
patfitz
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:55 am

The term "best harp" is completely subjective. Lee Oskars are my least favorite harps. The last a long time but I don't like the way they feel or play. My favorite is the Marine Band.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:28 pm

The term "best harp" is completely subjective.

You got that right. Oskars are probably my least favorite harp as well. Don't like the tuning or the tone. I prefer Hohner Special 20s.

Once you learn not to overplay, you won't blow out so many harps no matter what the brand. Also, I've posted this many times before- the harmonica was not designed for blues, it was designed to be a chorded "mouth organ". Bending notes was an accidental discovery and playing the blues on harps is very hard on the instrument no matter who you are and how you play. It's still going to tear harps up if you play enough hours on them.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 pm

It's horses for courses. I like LO's - I have a full set. I like the Sp20's too, but I don't like the chromed covers, I prefer the LO's stainless steel cover plate. The old sp20 sized pro-harp- now that was my favourite. I'm not a fan of the MS series. But blowing a harp out in 2 days, man, you must have blown the hell out of that thing. I just bought a new LO in D today as my current one had flatted out on draw 2 after a year or more of regular play. I use the D harp more than any other I think. I've retuned it, and will carry on using it, but as it's only the second harp I've retuned I don't know how long it will be before it needs doing again.
t bone bruce
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp