Bushman Torpedo???

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Bushman Torpedo???

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:25 pm

So has anybody out there been playin' thru a Bushman Torpedo mic regularly....? I don't think we've gotten a "road report" on those things yet,have we? I haven't held one,but it looks to me like the "fins" around the edge of the cover would impede a tight cup. The price is right, at $99 in places.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:48 am

Buy the Green Bullet instead.
angerboy
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:27 pm

its a vocal mic, why not just go with the jt30's or blues blaster you get a better mic. Every harp player tries to get the tightest cup around the mic as possiblle and they go and cut holes in the side? What gives?
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby blues_man_dan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:52 pm

Had two... sold two... 'nuff said... Stick with the REAL DEAL classics...
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:34 pm

Just for the record,I am in no way considering throwing away or selling my Green Bullet Shure,or my Blues Blaster. My curiousity mainly centered on whether having one of these in your arsenal would be handy for tunes that called for more of the Sonny Terry, or country blues, type of sound. Tight cupped,brown-tone Chicago blues is not the only way to play a blues harp, me buckos (even though it's the tone I prefer,even for blues/rock). After all, one cannot have too many tools (toys...?) in the toolbox.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 am

Had a unique tone(albeit thin)... but no balls whatsoever, even with an impedance convertor. A better than the torpedo, less "bluesy" tone can be had with a Shure PG57 with the bass high as usual, half mast on the mids, and bout a third on the highs with just a bit of reverb. Love the tone with this "more clean" setup. I too love toys, but the torpedos bombed out IMO...

Here's the 411 on the PG57:
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_PG57-XLR_content
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks bmd...that's very helpful. It's sure nice to have a few guys around here that can translate stuff for ya'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:44 am

Had a unique tone(albeit thin)... but no balls whatsoever, even with an impedance convertor. A better than the torpedo, less "bluesy" tone can be had with a Shure PG57 with the bass high as usual, half mast on the mids, and bout a third on the highs with just a bit of reverb. Love the tone with this "more clean" setup. I too love toys, but the torpedos bombed out IMO...

Here's the 411 on the PG57:
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_PG57-XLR_content
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:07 am

well if thats what your lookin for it would prolly work, but better on a stand and you playing into it acousticlly rather then cupped sense this mic has vocal style of sound, either that or play into a regular vocal mic :-)
thebluesbox
Regular

Torpedo/vocal

Postby jaysblues » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:57 pm

The Torpedo like ALL mics has its limitations. However, you can really crank up an amp with no feedback which means you get the cranked amp tones. The torpedo CAN be cupped. It's relatively small. I like this mic to play and sing through. That is to say, you can play and not miss a beat as you drop your harp down and sing into the mic. It's a clean sounding mic. It absolutely does have it's place. It's not a JT30 or a Green Bullet but it wasn't meant to be. So it won't replace these mics. The Torpedo will add to your arsenal.
jaysblues
Regular

Late

Postby jaysblues » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm

Holy Cow. :o I didn't notice the date on this topic. Sorry. But my commentary was still valid. :wink:
jaysblues
Regular

Postby angerboy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:47 pm

If you believe what you read on the web, they sound like they suck.

If you're looking for a good clean sound, there are a lot of options available at pretty decent prices on ebay.
angerboy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:55 pm

Well,my guess is that they are not designed to duplicate the sound of the Bullet or JT-30 (& Blaster). First of all,the "fins" on the top sides look like they would impede a tight cup,and the fact that they are louvered into the casing tells you right away that a tight cup is not their aim. They state in their promo that the harp is designed partly with hand effects in mind, and also with an eye towards reducing feedback.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp