My MOJO AMP is done WOOHOO!!!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

My MOJO AMP is done WOOHOO!!!

Postby blues_man_dan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:28 pm

My MojoAmp is now complete...

Here are a few pics...
Vintage 50 watt PA amp (modded tubes)
Went with 2 Jensen MOD 10" 35 watters and 2 vintage 6x9 organ speakers (THANKS FOR THE TIP BOSCO!)...

This thing ABSOLUTELY WAILS!!!
Soundclips to come...

blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:48 pm

Nice job bmd! I'd love to hear ya' play through it! It looks like a wunnuvakinder to me. No offense,but I can see it with a coupla nice fake cigarette burns on the top to give it a little more mojo,he-he. Best wishes for blowin' thru it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:57 pm

Too wild BMD, too wild!

Any pics of the chassis?
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:59 pm

That looks great!

+1 for the chassis pics!
:D
ricochet
Regular

Postby blues_man_dan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 am

Here's the guts with the back panel open... Basicly a box fastened around a box... The bogens are made with front ventilation and an open back with a flip down metal vented cover... my box allows for both and is built like a tank(the head may even weigh as much as one)...

Only other mod are some 1/4" connectors over the vintage switchcrafts to allow dual guitar cable inputs(not present in this pic)

blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 am

Cool!
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:21 am

That's really sweet! I like the cabinet motif.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:22 am

BMD-

Wow, that's awesome!

And you're certainly welcome for the tip...I fear I've created a monster.

Is the cab open back or sealed? If open, any pics? I'm interested in your choice of speaker placement. Thx.

Bosco :wink:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:28 am

closed with a 2" and 1n58" port drilled on the baffle... Tight... Crunchy when it has to be and loud...i'll send you the speaker config's
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:06 pm

I can see it with a coupla nice fake cigarette burns on the top to give it a little more mojo...

And a watermark ring from a beer bottle.

The cool outdoor lake gig we have now has a small 10 x 10 deck for a stage. We stack the two guitar amps on one side and the harp amp on top of the bass amp on the other side of the drummer. Natch, the bass player just parks his beer and ashtray on my amp now instead of his!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 pm

bosco wrote:I can see it with a coupla nice fake cigarette burns on the top to give it a little more mojo...

And a watermark ring from a beer bottle.

The cool outdoor lake gig we have now has a small 10 x 10 deck for a stage. We stack the two guitar amps on one side and the harp amp on top of the bass amp on the other side of the drummer. Natch, the bass player just parks his beer and ashtray on my amp now instead of his!

Bosco
Well,at least he uses an ashtray,Bosco! Summa you guys sure have some cool lookin' amps; I think it's great to add a little spice to the looks of the stage when yer giggin',and improve yer sound while yer at it. My little Peavey 30 jus' sits on the back wall, like a little wallflower. I wonder where the best spot to mic a 6X9 is,and if you got 2 6X9s,and a couple of 10s, which one do you mic on a beast like that. I realize you may not need to mic at all, but if you don't have a line out,and you want a little goin' thru the mains and monitors,which one do you mic?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Why not mic it at midpoint between a 6 x 9 and a 10" ?

Get some of the bark from the oval and some of the bass response of the 10. There isn't anything in stone that says a mic has to be directly in front of a single driver.

It's what I would do.

Doesn't sound like he's gonna need to mic that beast anytime soon though...

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:47 pm

Between the two seems logical to me also... I might be able to try it this weekend and share the results...
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby dblues » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:39 am

Glad you posted about your amp as I have one of these Bogen amps in my garage. I will have to experiment with some of those 6x9 speaks. In the near future I will be getting a Leslie. Once I figure out how best to use it (connecting properly as not to get electrocuted and other things) I will have pretty much tried all the amp and speaker combos I care to try.
Has anyone here ever used a Leslie cab (amp and speaker or any of the speakers therein) before? I would like to hear what you have to say about it.
Thanks, dblues
And thanks bluesmandan, for the schematic of the Bogen amp.
dblues
Regular

Return to Blues Harp