Splitting signal from Harp Mic

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Splitting signal from Harp Mic

Postby hashtaff » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:12 am

I poste this in "Wish I'd Known this" too but thought some fellow harpers would get it easier here.

Played a gig in small pub last night. Was too small for the 4x10 Sonny Jr but BrianP's Champ copy was a touch underdone.
Rather than mic the amp I used a trick passed on to me by "G" of New Zealand.
I used a Boss digital reverb which has a stereo output and ran one output into the amp and the other into the pa (instrument/mic in...NOT line in)
Using a Green Bullet the tone from both was great and had complete control of volume from the pa.
This works with reverb on or off ( though if I'm using a pedal I like a touch of reverb anyway)
Also splitting the signal fattens it up even more.
This much easier than mic'ing and really useful, particularly if you don't have a line out (which I didn't). Also practically feed-back proof).
Hope this helps someone else.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:24 am

cool bro this is in a sense your "line out" .... when you didnt have one, good creative Idea dude!
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Good on ya mate!

Thanks for the tip...wish I coulda been there.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Hey thanks for remindin' us of that one Hash; I'll have to try that with my Digitech delay. It's funny how close you can be to a simple solution and sometimes not even see it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:35 am

Hey Hash...

Cool tip man...

Let me know when the mic arrives...

Dan
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby dblues » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Hashtaff, you said "I used a Boss digital reverb which has a stereo output and ran one output into the amp and the other into the pa (instrument/mic in...NOT line in)" What was the difference between the instrument/mic in and the line in? My board doesn't have ins specified this way. What is the impedence difference on the board you were using?
Thanks
dblues
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:53 am

The board we used had separate low and high impedance inputs which is something you need to look out for. Some don't and can presumeably handle either. Best to check with the manual first.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:44 am

I seem to have enough gain flexibility to not have to pay much attention to that. The Low impedence inputs are all XLR on my board
dblues
Regular

Return to Blues Harp