Best speakers for harp in a Pro Jr??

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Best speakers for harp in a Pro Jr??

Postby MOJOE » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:44 am

Hi, picked up a 95 Tweed PJ. Has Eminence Ceramic. Is an alnico a better choice? What model speaker do you recommend for PJ and why? Thanks 8)
MOJOE
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:39 am

From what I read and people tell me, the alnicos are a better choice some say, but others say they like ceramic just as well. My firend tickfaw is an amp tech he swears by weber so does brian P and Im almost sure they would tell you to go with a weber signature series https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

others like jensen alnicos, I guess its like harps we all got our prefs, but out of these I think you would have a good speaker out of them all. Heck emenince is a great speaker too you sure you wanna change it because that fender didnt come with that is came with a fender special design ceramic, someone may have changed it already and that speaker may be workin good for it as is.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Beware that the alnico speakers often protrude quite a bit more in the back and won't fit in some amps. Measure first.

Personally, I think the stuff about alnico and ceramic speakers having inherently different tonal qualities is hooey. It's all in the individual speakers' designs.

The way we got permanent magnet speakers was when the price of copper went up and copper got hard to get, first during WWII, then during the Korean War. Before that, electromagnetic speakers were the way to go. The first permanent magnet speakers had alnico because the ceramics hadn't yet been developed. The ceramics are better magnet materials.
ricochet
Regular

Postby angerboy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:40 pm

I've played through a stock Pro Junior. I thought they sound pretty good.
angerboy
Regular

Postby brianp » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:26 am

Make sure it will fit but I think the 10A125-0 speaker from Weber is the best 10" alnico you can get. The Jensen Ceramic reissue 10" is also a good speaker for that amp. You will definately have to take the bell cover off the speaker with the Weber but it should fit!

BrianP
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MOJOE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:28 am

Thanks Guys!!! I must say the speaker that is in there now sounds very good with guitar. I haven't had a chance to play harp through it yet, maybe the speaker in there will be fine. 8)
MOJOE
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:52 pm

1995 was a changeover year when they began to use Eminence ceramics and I bought mine in 1995 brand new with one of the last ones they were using that had the very same Eminence made alnico magnet speaker that was also used on the Bassman RI's and the original 4-10 Blues DeVilles, which were rcently reissued, and the alnico still sounds better, tho the ceramic ain't too shabby.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp