Which Amp?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby beachmaster » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:55 pm

Let me tell ya, you won't go wrong with this little puppy. And it's small enough and light weight enough to put in your knapsack!!
beachmaster
Regular

Postby beachmaster » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:16 pm

I just purchased a Fender Pro Jr. online, used. It has a Jensen upgrade speaker. I also just ordered some tubes to swap out... I had read at Eurotubes that using the JJ ECC832 (12DW7), which is a non-balanced tube, in the V2 position really works well in the Pro Jr or the Blues Jr. I'm also going to pull my 12AY7 from my Fender Deluxe and put it in the V1 spot. I'm hoping to find that perfect "holy grail" amp when I'm done... anyone else using the Fender Pro Jr with this or similar setup?? How does it sound?

I need to add that the reason I've made this purchase is that my Kustom Tube 12, though a great amp at a great price, just doesn't quite have the oomph for a couple of loudass jammers I've recently tried it out on, and the Deluxe is just a little too big for those smaller gigs. The Pro Jr. should be right there in the middle hopefully. So now I have a big loud amp, a little amp for lower volume gigs, and now will have that (hopefully) perfect middle ground amp. I may not need to buy any more amps again (but I suspect one day I'll just have to splurge and get a 59 Bassman reissue, you know, just to have it in my arsenal and to be cool lol)
beachmaster
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:46 pm

Beach, congrats on the aquisition, It should round out your lineup nicely.

just doesn't quite have the oomph for a couple of loudass jammers I've recently tried it out on

Been there, done that. My first amp was a vintage Champ. My second amp was a RI Bassman. Extreme ends of the spectrum. Spent the last several years looking for "tweeners" to fill the void. The stable I have now works nicely for all applications.

'65 Blackface Champ......6 watt, 1x8
'60s Lectrolab R-800......18 watt, 2- 6x9
'02 Pignose G40V.........40 watt, 1- 6x9
'02 Fender RI Bassman 45 watt, 4x10

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:00 pm

Hey beachmaster,the '59 Re-issue alone won't make ya' cool...ya' gotta get some fedora hats like Bosco,too. THEN you'll be cool.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:06 pm

Hey beach,btw...have you been usin' any delay or reverb with that green bullet...? If you just went amplified not too long ago, you may have more "effects" searches in your future. If I'm not mistaken Bosco uses a Dano BLT Slap Echo, as do a coupla other guys around here (including myself),and I also use a DigiTech Digital Delay,when I want a little more flexibility out of the delay. The Dano was cheap,and digitech wasn't...but honestly, at times, I think that I like the sound of the Dano better. Some guys prefer reverb over delay....I like delay, and only just a touch, for depth.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:11 pm

If you use a tube as unbalanced as an ECC832 (which has 1/2 of an ECC83 and 1/2 of an ECC82, with amplification factors of 100 and 18 respectively) for the phase inverter, be sure and frequently swap your two power tubes with each other. One of them will be driven much harder than the other one. Like rotating tires, you want to balance out the wear.

BTW, this is an excellent illustration of why you do NOT need to match tubes in a guitar or harp amp. When they're rather badly imbalanced, many people like the sound better. (It adds a good bit of second harmonic distortion, which is the original signal an octave up. Sounds kind of like a twelve string guitar. A fuller, brighter sound.) In fact, often people don't think an amp sounds bad with one of the paired power tubes not working, or pulled out. That's as mismatched as you can get.
ricochet
Regular

Postby beachmaster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:56 pm

Jeffl... oh but I DO have a couple of Fedora's... one of them is a super cool brown and black interwoven straw Fedora I saw at Hats in the Belfry. It was their last one, so I nabbed it. Also have some berets. So all I need is that Bassman to join Bosco's cool club! lol

As to delays, I did get me a Dano cheapo and I love it. It's the PB&J model, very simple and plain, but damn that sucker has a great sound.. analogish even! Last week I used it with my Fender deluxe turned up pretty loud and I swear it made me play better! I know that is anathema to the harper's creed that says only "you" can make your sound better, but when I get a good sound, it gives me that extra boost of confidence that helps me play better. Oh yeah, and I was wearing my super cool Fedora at the time too! (I think I figured how to put in my avatar, now I have to find a pic of that badass fedora)

Bosco, that's a nice line up you have there dude. Now tell me about your hats.... seems to me that all good harpers have good hats, so lay it on me man.

Richochet, thanks for that tip on rotating my tires. I had figured there would be something else I'd need to do having an imbalanced preamp tube in the mix. Can't wait to see how it sounds. Will update when I get it and try it out.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:11 pm

Bosco, now tell me about your hats.... seems to me that all good harpers have good hats, so lay it on me man.

Allrighty then, I'm not opposed to hijacking a perfectly good thread. I don't have much hair left so I'm quite keen on collecting vintage hats, especially for the stage. I have quite a few, in all colors, all size 7 1/8. I prefer a 2" brim, but the 1 3/4 seem to be more prevalent. A 4 1/2 inch crown seems to be standard. I have fedoras in grey, black, brown, tan and several straw hats.

The hat in this picture is the crown jewel of the collection and my most recent aquisition (3-06). It's a Dobbs Fifth Avenue in mint condition. Scored it on an Ebay estate sale after a short bidding war for $40.00 plus shipping. It's approximately 40 years old and I'm sure it cost several times what I paid for it when new. I love the history behind it. It belonged to a high profile Dallas businessman, philanthropist and millionare who traveled the world and liked to shop in New York and abroad. His last name was Stanley but I haven't been able to garner any further info on him. The pic was taken on a blistering hot day this past July as I usually wear a vest and tie on stage.

I'll see if I can round up some stage pics of other hats. Haven't gotten around to wearing berets yet, although they are popular with several guitar players in this area. Thanks for the interest.

Bosco
Last edited by bosco on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Here's a pic from my 50th birthday party last year. The hat is a dark brown Stetson in mint condition that I found at a Goodwill for $2.49. The feather in the hatband is from a Merriam's wild turkey that I took in South Dakota a few years back. You can see my favorite harp amp, my 60's Lectrolab R-800 on a workbench behind me. The party was in a pole barn so was rather informal. Good times!

Anybody else have any good harpster hat pics?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby beachmaster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:02 pm

Bosco, that's truly cool, the vintage Fedoras... I don't have any vintage hats, but some of them are at least semi-cool from what I've been told by my very small fan base :)

Here's a closeup of my current favorite hat I mentioned earlier. It's a Cubaverea brand hat I bought at Hats in the Belfry in Destin Fl.:

here's the same hat in action at a jam last Sunday:

Last edited by beachmaster on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby angerboy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:07 am

Praise the Lord that I've got decent hair! Hats are not in my future.
angerboy
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp