Which Amp?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:28 pm

bosco wrote:This must be a mod. Doesn't a Pignose G40V come stock with a 10"

It does, Ozark... good observation.

The lead guitar player in a former band blew up the stock 10" at the first gig I took it to! His Fender Deluxe went down and he wanted/needed to use it. I had taken my Champ for a backup as the Pignose was unproven at that point. I told him to give me a minute to pop a 12 AX7 in the PIG as the preamp was diminished with a 12AY7 for harp. He said there wasn't enough time...after a few riffs he dimed the volume and master gain and POOF! You talk about being pissed...I never got to gig a single note through it.

The 6x9 organ alnico is my harp amp speaker of choice until something better is invented. The G40V runs like raped ape now....tone to the BONE and power to spare!

Bosco

what a great band name..."The Raped Apes" :o
Tell that damn gtr. player to TURN IT DOWN!
Ozark Bluesman

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:48 pm

Bosco is the Jonnie Appleseed of 6x9's for harp speakers......and he's right. They have a sound all thier own.

Just remember that we never speak of this outside the forum.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:21 pm

bosco wrote:JRB-

My Pignose G40V with the 6x9 is my #1 portable jam/sit in amp...although with 40 tube watts it usually doesn't need to be miked!

Bosco

I was thinking more about the original portable piggy - although I have to admit that the G40v probably wouldn't be too much trouble to carry from gig to gig. The G40's the Mini of amps - looks tiny but if you look after it it can outrace just about anyone!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:28 am

The G40V is essentially the same circuit as the Marshall 2204 "Super Lead 50." A 60W amp based on the old tweed Bassman, with the two input channels stacked for a single channel with an extra gain stage. It's loud and sounds very good. Very Marshallish. It's got some significant construction and component flaws. The speaker will blow the first time you play it cranked. It's supposedly a 70W, but I think that's the meaningless "Music Power" that's usually arrived at by doubling the real RMS rating. Mine didn't quit playing, but made an awful raspy, scratching sound after the first time I cranked it, thus the MOD speaker.

It'll blow tubes and may cause the 6L6s to go into "thermal runaway" if you don't add resistors in the heater circuit to drop the voltage to a reasonable value. Mine came with 7.5V on the heaters, which is crazy.
ricochet
Regular

Postby beachmaster » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:18 pm

I've been considering getting a little smaller amp and have considered the G40V, but I seem to recall reading some bad reviews on it, stuff like what ricochet says, and I think I read that it starts to crackle and pop after a while... I may have it mixed up with another amp, but one reviewer of the amp I'm thinking about sent it for repairs to their tech guy in NJ and never was satisfied. Anyone heard of other bad reviews on this one?

The Epi Valve Jr sounds good, but I doubt it will pull the volume I need.

I only went amplified about 3 or 4 months ago.. couldn't seem to find a good deal on anything until I found a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe in the local shopper paper. It was a year old, and looked like it had never seen any action at all. Since the retail price was $600 and I had the opportunity to snag it for $400, I did. I replaced the tubes with a JJ ECC82 (I think that is equivalent to a 12AU7) and a NOS 12AY7. Let me say that this thing with 40W SMOKES now, and I can turn it up louder than I usually ever need to... which also presents a problem because in most situations I have to keep the volume at below 6 and it just doesn't quite break up the way I want then. And it's pretty heavy, close to 50 lbs. But for bigger rooms and to compete with loud guitars, this puppy is it!

Now I just need something smaller for the smaller rooms, at least something lighter weight. I'd like more input on the Pignose issue, I might just give it a whirl.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Beach-

Other than that first blown speaker, I haven't had any other problems with mine in three years. It's been a real workhorse.

I think they had significant quality control issues when they first started manufacturing and it got a bad initial reputation. It's never going to be a Fender or Marshall, but when they retailed for $249.00 it had the most tube watts available for the money.

A local guitar pro bought one last year that he just loves and it sounds great. They gig a lot and he got tired of lugging a heavy amp around. He played a Line 6 digital modeling amp and his tone was crap anyway. I told him he wasting his playing talent and to stop screwing around and get a tube amp. Next thing I know he shows up with the Piggy G40V (with the stock speaker) and he sounds awesome again. Go figure.

One feature I love for harp is the separate volume and master gain controls. This lets you experiment with settings to get an overdriven tone if desired.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby beachmaster » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:07 am

Thanks for the tips Bosco.... will keep that one in mind for possible future purchase.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby beachmaster » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:02 am

I ended up buying a Kustom Tube 12 from MF for a mere $99.00

WOW! I didn't realize you could get such an awesome 12 watt tube amp, brand new for that kind of money. This thing rocks! I played it last night and was shocked. It looks about the size of a toy amp (it's under 20 lbs.). People couldn't believe I was getting that sound from this little amp. Using the stock 12AX7, it did well from a feedback perspective up to about volume level 6 or 7. With a 12AY7, it should be just about perfect. Has a great Fenderesqe bluesy and ballsy tone to it. And it seems to be pretty well built for the money. It's a lot easier to tote than that 50 lb Fender for sure, and I think it will do for 80 percent of my amplification needs.

For $99, you just can't go wrong.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:04 am

Hey, great score BM. Congrats!

Kustom has always made gear that's roadworthy.

What kind of mic are you using with that rig?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby beachmaster » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:45 am

Bosco, I'm using a green bullet. Not a vintage though.

Also, about the amp... it's got a 8" Celestion speaker and it weighs in at just 12.75 lbs.

Here's the promo material from the Kustom website:

Tube 12

The TUBE 12 is a small combo amp with a tube preamp, utilizing a classic 12AX7 tube. The result is that cool, glassy tone that makes both clean and distorted sounds really sing. It has 12 watts of output power running through an 8-inch Celestion™ speaker. When you kick in the Gain switch, look out! Screaming tone that just doesn't quit! EQ is set with Low and High controls and there's also a unique US/UK switch that conjures up a fatter American tone or a tighter, brighter UK sound. In all, the Tube 12 rocks, and makes an awesome recording amp as well. By the way, a bunch of big-time groups use Tube 12 amplifiers on their tour buses for jamming while on the road.

In their review of the Tube 12, Guitar Player magazine stated, "… everything from bell-like chime to raunchy roars to full-on saturation fests … the Tube 12 is one hell of a hot number."

=============

Definitely an excellent buy for my money.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:43 pm

I'll be interested to see how the tone grows on you as you play it more.

I've never played harp through a hybrid amp, with tube preamp and a solid state output. Let us know the results after your tube swapping and experimentation.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby beachmaster » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention that it is indeed a hybrid, not a true tube amp, having only a single preamp tube... but man oh man, you'd never know it! It sounds like pure tube! I actually think it sounds better than my Fender Deluxe, but that might be because I don't have much opportunity to really crank the Fender up to the point it overdrives whereas I can do that with the cute little Kustom. Again I can't stress enough about the value here, and it's perfect for new players who want to go amplified but don't have a lot of money to spend. Several reviewers on harmony central say it sounds as good as or better than a Fender Champ. I only played through a Champ once, and it would be hard for me to judge since that was a few months ago, but I would bet you could put them side by side and the Kustom will certainly give the Champ a run for the money.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:17 pm

"....for a mere $99." Yeah,and I paid $300 for my Champ ('78- it's a silverface,not a blackface), jus' to have one. I like my Champ,though,and it shouldn't ever be worth less than it is now. It doesn't sound like you can go wrong at that price on the Kustom,as long as it doesn't turn out to be a total piece of junk. 12 Watts is plenty of power for kickin' around.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby beachmaster » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:12 pm

As to the quality, to me it seems just fine for the money, but some of the reviewers did note that the particle board cabinet wasn't of too good a quality. Personally, I suspect that Kustom has read reviews and have tried to improve this amp during the last couple of years. I read some reviews that complained about the chinese made tube being too harsh, but in the clean mode, I didn't find that at all. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what tube is in it, but it sounds pretty darn good as is, right out of the box. Still I intend to put a lower gain tube so that I can use the gain feature. All of the reviewers by the way are guitarists, and I haven't read any harp reviews on it other than my own.

Your Champ will certainly hold it's value more than this Kustom, but the way I figure, if I get a good year or two out of it, heck for $99 I'll just buy another! Though I won't be using my Fender Deluxe much now, I'll keep it because most any Fender tube amp will always hold their value for years and years to come.
beachmaster
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:32 pm

They've had a Kustom Hi-Watt (20 watts) at my music store forever; the price is an issue on that one though, at $279. Anytime you can get an amp that you'll play for $99,you can't get hurt. I was given a new Roland Micro-cube a coupla years ago,and I think that priced at about $120. Obviously,it's a whole different amp,exchanging a ton of features for limited power,but still,those are "throwaway" prices. Heck,I've got an old Crate SS SL-1 that's prob'ly worth $50,and if you plug a guitar into it and adjust the gain,it plays jus' fine. At least with a new amp you get a warranty. Hell, I should even think about pickin' up sumpin' like that Kustom,for takin' to practice and jams. At least if somebody spills a beer in it, you haven't lost an amp that's hard to replace. One can never have too much equipment, since you don't have to move it all at once.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp