Which Amp?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 pm

Just seen your review bosco and post at thebluesbox, great amp dude looks cool, the 6x9's must be killer!

bandit WOW that looks so cool man haha! you said you have the speakers hooked in paralelle and series? Did you do that because of the ohm differences in them and trying to keep the impedence of the amp/speakers right?

Wouls love to hear yours and bosco's think you guys can drum up some sound samples?
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:17 pm

Bandito: I don't think I'd try playin' thru those speakers without gettin' some hairgrease and slickin' my hair back good. That looks awesome. I hope you got a collapsible cart for haulin' it around. I gotta try summa those 6x9s...Bosco swears by 'em.. I'll have to start lookin' for an old organ to steal 'em outa.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:30 pm

I noticed that Weber is selling two different 6x9's now. To replace old organ and Leslie cab speakers. Also Antique Electronics ofers a 6x9 under there speaker selection. The AE speakers are pretty inexpensive and the Webers are $25 and $45 I believe. I may grab some of the cheap one to see how they sound.

Bosco the wod controlled does not fit the jam I go to. But they are family and it's the only thing close right now. KC is about an hour and a half away but with gas the way it is I have to stay close to home.

I hope to get some sound clips. I CAN'T be as bad as I think I am! :wink:

Thanks guys.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:48 pm

Oh man, that's great! I looked around a month or two ago for 6x9s and all I could find were those coaxial car stereo speakers.

Might have to build a 2 6x9 cab myself. Or 4. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Wow, Bandit, love the cab, it matches the head to a T. What's it made from?
Bosco, I agree that small amps won't cut it with a louder band unless mic'ed or using a line out into the PA. But they do work well for home, small gigs or recording. As the initial request was for a recommendation on an amp around the $100 mark, I thought the Valve Junior would fit the bill nicely. My first statement was "amp choice depends on what you plan to do with it"

I envy you guys in the US. You have a wide range of old budget amps that were produced in quantity and sell for reasonable prices. Here in the UK we didn't have that, and all the old amps are now highly collectable (for that read: expensive)
I don't know how it varies in the US, but here in the UK, unless you're in the host band you generally wouldn't take an amp to an organised jam session. You take your instruments and use the PA and backline provided, often the host band's stuff. If I'm lucky, they have a harp player and I get to use their rig. More often they don't and I use the PA mic.
When I get into a gigging band, and my divorce is through, and I can save up some money again, then I'll think about getting or making (probably making!) a bigger amp.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 pm

>What's it made from?
The cabinet is 3/4" MDF (medium density fiberboard). The baffle board is 3/4" plywood, a $2 scrap from the lumber yard.

My kids got the handle (on the side), the feet, the corner protectors and the piping for my Father's day present.

The back is 1/2" plywood and is in pieces so I can close it all or open all or part of it for tone.

The speakers were all found in my in-laws barn in old hi-fi cabinets, they work but I've been thinking along the lines Rico was heading. 4 new 6x9's (the cheapies) and a new baffle board and I can have a mini stack.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:51 pm

MDF works well for cabs. It's very dense and acousically it's quite dead so you only hear the sound from the speakers, and not the cabinet. It also has the virtue of being easy to work with! I used spruce for my amp cabinet, but use 3/4"MDF for the baffle board. it transfers the sound to the cabinet, making mine quite "lively " with a natural reverb. I got given a 65 watt Marshall Bass-State amp the other day, and its cabinet is made from MDF. boy is it heavy!
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:17 pm

Some folks, especially fans of old 4x10 Bassmans (Bassmen?), deliberately make their cabs out of thin pine and their baffle boards of very thin plywood, anchored on only two edges so they can flex. That's the way Leo's boys put 'em together.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:55 am

I don't know how it varies in the US, but here in the UK, unless you're in the host band you generally wouldn't take an amp to an organised jam session. You take your instruments and use the PA and backline provided, often the host band's stuff. If I'm lucky, they have a harp player and I get to use their rig. More often they don't and I use the PA mic.

That's a situation that's just begging for a Legendary Pignose. Just stick it on a chair away from the monitors, stick and SM58 in front of it (or run the line-out into a DI box) and wail away. Simple, painless and you're not at the mercy of the Mystery Jam Gear.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:34 pm

Just finishing the cabinet work on my new baby... Old Bogen 50w tube amp... Speakers will be 2 Jensen MOD 10"... 2 6x9's with whizzer cones from an old lowrey with great tone... and possibly a pair of Diatone 4" full rangers if I'm feeling like putting them in at the end... I may set it up to allow easy changes on the speaker choices and combinations...

Pics soon to come...
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby blues_man_dan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:56 pm

ricochet...

Do an ebay search for organ, speakers... you will find several auctions for hammond speakers(BTW they sound GREAT for harp)... Got a few sets in the past to make cabs for my pals...
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah. It just breaks my heart to think about the Hammonds getting chopped up.

I've got a Jensen MOD 70W 10" in my Pignose G40v. That's a fine sounding speaker, loud, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:23 pm

My first statement was "amp choice depends on what you plan to do with it"

T-Bone,

That's why I started my post with nearly the same statement. I'm not picking on anybody's amp suggestions here. I've seen and read about dozens of novice harpers that begin with small, inexpensive, underpowered amps and just get blown away (and not heard) when they get to their first jam or open mic.

I merely suggest that they spend a little more at the start and get a more powerful intermediate amp that they will be happier with in the long run. It's all relative, and maybe starting out small is part of the learning curve until sufficient tone is developed that deserves to be heard! :roll:

JRB-

My Pignose G40V with the 6x9 is my #1 portable jam/sit in amp...although with 40 tube watts it usually doesn't need to be miked!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:33 pm

bosco wrote:My Pignose G40V with the 6x9 is my #1 portable jam/sit in amp...although with 40 tube watts it usually doesn't need to be miked!

This must be a mod. Doesn't a Pignose G40V come stock with a 10" ?
Ozark Bluesman

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:22 pm

This must be a mod. Doesn't a Pignose G40V come stock with a 10"

It does, Ozark... good observation.

The lead guitar player in a former band blew up the stock 10" at the first gig I took it to! His Fender Deluxe went down and he wanted/needed to use it. I had taken my Champ for a backup as the Pignose was unproven at that point. I told him to give me a minute to pop a 12 AX7 in the PIG as the preamp was diminished with a 12AY7 for harp. He said there wasn't enough time...after a few riffs he dimed the volume and master gain and POOF! You talk about being pissed...I never got to gig a single note through it.

The 6x9 organ alnico is my harp amp speaker of choice until something better is invented. The G40V runs like raped ape now....tone to the BONE and power to spare!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp