Blues Harp Key

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Blues Harp Key

Postby Mister_K19 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:58 am

I've now been playing harmonica for only several months. Currently, I own a Lee Oskar Key of C, and I think it's time for me to get a new harmonica. But I'm not sure what key to get it in. Now I know that to get that bluesy sound, it's through technique. But the right key wouldn't hurt right? So what key would you recommend for me to get that bluesy sound?
Mister_K19
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:54 am

A different key harp would help you to play a song in a different key and they all can sound bluesy with technique as you said it. But a great sounding harp that I love to play is the A key im not much on higher keyed harps I love the low sound and to me the A key is a happy medium on the lower side of things so to speak.

p.s. I remember when I first started playing harp I didnt know the keys went from low to high as follows: G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, E, F etc I thought it was like the music scales read "every good boy does fine" in school band, EGBDF so I started buying like that and couldnt figure out why they wasnt in sequence pffff.... till someone came along and helped me out a bit hahah!
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby Mister_K19 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:10 am

BLUESBOX, much obliged for the reply. I've heard that harmonica in the key of A is great. Again much appreciated for your opinion. Anyone else got their own opinions?
Mister_K19
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:26 am

The first harp I bought was a C- almost all instruction materials are for a C harp. The next one I got was an A harp- because when you play cross harp you will play it in E. (E is a very popular blues key for guitarists, as it's an easy key for them to play in). After that I got a D harp (cross harp- A- another popular blues key!)
These 3 harps cover most of what I play when I'm playing out. I have all 12 keys now, plus High G and Low F, but my most used harps are A, C, and D.
A G harp is also useful, as are F and Bb as longer term purchases.
t bone bruce
Regular

Return to Blues Harp