making the switch from diatonic to chromatic

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

making the switch from diatonic to chromatic

Postby eline » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:07 am

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the most effieciant way of making a switch from a diatonic harp to a chrome. I know you can play a chrome in a dorian scale relatively easy, but what about switching keys in other positions? What are some of the most effective srategies for making the move?

Eddie
eline
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:18 am

I play by ear with feeling the song out. Try the 3rd postion for starters play along with some tunes in D, Eb or G songs to figure out where you should be on the harp in the tune and feel it out.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby huge blues » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:44 am

Before dropping bank on a chromatic get yourself a Hohner Marine Band 364S/24 in the solo tuning. It's tuned identical to a chromatic but lacks the slide and at less that $40 is a lot easier on the wallet. Get one of those in the key of "C" and put on a best-of disc of Elmore James where everything is in "D" and that should jump-start you.
Someone asked me once about the small chromatics that Hohner makes. I advised to get one with at least 24 holes,-three octaves. You can fake a chromatic with any diatonic by playing over the minor 2nd of the harps first position key. Trouble is you will run out of range on the smaller diatonics.
huge blues
Regular

Return to Blues Harp