Playing in odd places

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Playing in odd places

Postby Bournio » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Ok, I've been playing harp since April, not too long, but I'm having a great time on it, the whole freedom thing, not bein' able to see what I'm doin' workin of sounds and feelings.

This weekend I went camping(fairly traditional, not much electrical stuff) and of course the harp came with me. I was playin' in a dining shelter(apparently its a tent, but its really a canvas over a simple pole set up with no sides) at 7in the mornin' waitin for the kettle to boil, playin at 12 waitin' for bacon, playin at 6 the next day in the toilets, after that in the washing up area(which has lovely acoustics, so resonant...)

So for playing for 2months I have a nice pile of random places, too young to drive so cars ain't that impressive, but whilst washing up i think is the way to do it! What's the oddest place you guys have played?

Bournio
Bournio
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Hey Bournio, Congrats! You've jus' stumbled onto one part of playin' harp that so many of us hold dear to our hearts. My "play anywhere,anytime" days were mostly in college,from 1969 to 1974. The first thing that came to mind for me was the memory of playin' in any public lavatory that had tile walls,but alotta guys will tell you that enclosed stairwells are one of the favorites; these stairwells are in apartment buildings, office buildings, parking ramps,etc.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:27 pm

Hahahaha Memories. I love those enclosed/underground parking garages (all that concrete) and big storm drain tunnels (the ones that go under a street about 50' long and 10' high). I also play flute and had spent many hours playing both in such places back in my youth. I can remember times when I was totally unaware anyone was around (as I usually had my eyes closed when I was in a groove, only to stop, open my eyes and see a dozen people standing there and break into applause). Ah yes, those were the days!!! 8) :lol:
dblues
Regular

Postby qtheblues » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:13 am

I once blew my harp on the summit of Ben Nevis (mountain) in Scotland. Forget it, the accoustic are terrible........
qtheblues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:59 pm

Brought a guitar and harmonica into a cave in the jungle in Northern Thailand. The acoustics were fabulous.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eline » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:38 am

For the last 5 years, I've been walking to and from my car, that I would park way off campus (Cal State Fullerton) Blowin my harp. Generally, I would produce smiles for those who were walking close to me. But going under the overpass of the 57 freeway was always my favorite spot. I could make my harp scream for the Lord's mercy and it sounded...well, it was nice;)
ED
eline
Regular

Re: Playing in odd places

Postby beachmaster » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:06 am

Bournio wrote:
This weekend I went camping(fairly traditional, not much electrical stuff) and of course the harp came with me. I was playin' in a dining shelter(apparently its a tent, but its really a canvas over a simple pole set up with no sides) at 7in the mornin' waitin for the kettle to boil, playin at 12 waitin' for bacon, playin at 6 the next day in the toilets, after that in the washing up area(which has lovely acoustics, so resonant...)

About my second week of playing we vacationed at a mountain cabin in N. Georgia. I traveled with my one and lonely Golden Melody C harp. I bought two of the cheapie Hohners while there. I sat in the swing on the porch of our mountain cabin with my jukin boom box playin cds and learning the craft. Ahhhh, the crisp October mountain air in the morning... great for harpin to the animals in the woods!

That was over a year and a half ago. Now I play everywhere I feel like. Walking down the Walmart aisle, in the post office checking my PO box, in my car (you have to put it down when a cop pulls beside you or he'll think you're smoking somthing), and yes oh my god yes, in public bathrooms with all that natural reverb!!!
beachmaster
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 pm

I had a patient (alas, she died recently) who was learning to play harp. She'd play in the exam room while waiting on me to get to her.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:43 pm

Beachmaster,good on ya'... it sounds like you're really enjoying your instrument. That is wonderful! I've had so little success finding a good band situation to get into (for playin' harp) that I've gotten a little bug to throw the harp rack on again and write some piano/harp blues. It's all about enjoyin' the instrument.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:46 pm

I had a gig at the National Zoo last night. It was a private event, booked by an agency. It paid eally well, we got fed and we were pretty much background music, so we could play what we wanted to and try out new songs.

There have been plenty of times in bars when I played for a bunch of animals, but this time it was literal.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:22 pm

My band played a private tennis club in Belgium. The stage was about 6 feet deep, and 30 feet wide. They had a dj playing music between us, doing all that record scraatching stuff. The average age of the audience was about 14, and there were about 500 of them! I was thinking, what the heck are we going to play? I started with some chuck berry inspired beats, and kept it to that and the bill haley groove all night. They wents nuts, and after the show, about 100 or so teenage girls, chased us outside, got my hankerchief, and a shoe. I tried to tell them they were the only pair I had, but they thought we were superstars, and superstars give all that kind of stuff away. I also signed just about every legal body space with pen, and the young girls swore they would never wash that part again. It made me feel like it must have been when jerry lee lewis and those guys were first making it. It was a night I will never forget, and would never want to repeat. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:11 pm

That's great, Walter! Better wear cheap shoes to your gigs from now on!
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:03 am

ricochet wrote:That's great, Walter! Better wear cheap shoes to your gigs from now on!
:lol:

I hear you! they were blue patent leather slip ons. The tux was blue, so I had to scrap that one, cause you could't find them in europe. That was when I could go down to Newark NJ, to the tux shops. Little old Jewish men ran them. I would ask to go in the back, and dig through the old stuff from the 70's. Big ruffled shirts, tails, wild colors, were in then, and when I was buying in the late 70's/early 80's, you could get tons of them. They had gone out of vouge. You could really mix some wild colors then. Now, all I can buy is black or white-boringggggggggggggggggg. Walter
here was that suit

todays stuff I buy that is out of style. You can still get a complete suit, shirt, shoes, cuff links, tie, for under $150, and they are machine washable. The days of dry cleaning are long gone for me. Out here, it costs $40 for a 2 peice suit!

Image[/img]
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp