Condensor mike for acoustic playing

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Condensor mike for acoustic playing

Postby steel1953 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:36 am

Well, I don't have money for an old tube Neuman so..........
I played through a Shure Beta 87a the other day that sounded good. I play in a duo with an acoustic fingerstyle player, so we have a lot of dynamics.
Do you guys use/or have any suggestions as far as condensor mikes?

Thanks for any and all help.....Brian
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:01 am

I also play in a duo with a guitarist and sometimes I play a Shure thru the PA and sometimes a Shaker thru a small amp. The Shaker/amp setup is my preferance but as just a back up to the singer/guitarplayer, I don't think it really matters. Usually I just play the Upright bass with a harp rack into the PA W/a vocal mic. I'm not really a harp player but I'm lovin it just the same.
oleman
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:01 pm

Do you guys use/or have any suggestions as far as condensor mikes?

Condensor mics are traditionally used for studio recording and not for live performance for very good reason. A Condensor will pick all of the ambient sound within range and I do mean everything....every stage whisper, fart, burp, cuss, string sqeak, tinkling bar glass and squint. You will start to lose control over your sound instead of gain it, including feedback problems.

Directional microphones give you the ability to turn up the guitar, turn down the bass, increase vocals and generally utilize the mixing board. Also consensors often need their own battery power source, (also referred to as phantom power) you can't just plug 'em into your board like a cardiod mic. Batteries and live performance are a poor combination, as anyone who has ever had an effects pedal go dead and start to squeal can attest to.

Your best bet is a cardioid pattern mic like the shure 57 & 58 series used as an area mic. It will work within the range of a duo without picking up unwanted noise from the other side of the room.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:44 pm

When I was doing a duo thing, I played harp and flute using a Shure BG 5.1 condenser. This type of condenser mic is for either studio or stage work. It has a wide frequency range (70-16000 hz) It also has a battery so if you don't have phantom power available no problem. It worked great and still does. It is no longer made but you can find them used for $40-80.
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:35 pm

Condensor mics are great for when you have a number of people singing into one mic from slightly varying distances; they can pick up everyone like they're using their own mics. It's hard to beat a 58 for "off mic" work for acoustic harp and vocals. I do believe there are cheaper alternatives that mimic the 58s specs now,without sacrificing build quality like we had to in the old days.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp