Fender Pro Jr. Settings?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Fender Pro Jr. Settings?

Postby Bludha » Mon May 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Hello all.

I'm new here--been lurking for quite a while and have really appreciated the posts here, and I would like to start off with a question. I had been looking for another amp to replace my old Crate V58, and after reading some of the reviews and recommendations posted here and elsewhere, I bought a Fender Pro Jr. I have experimented with the pre-amp tubes, and at the moment I am using a 12AU7 as the first and a 12AY7 as the second. I'm also using a Green Bullet 520D and Digiverb reverb pedal.

I have been playing around with the tone and volume settings to get good tone and overdrive, and so my question is: what tone and volume settings have other Pro Jr. users found best suited in this regard for this amp? I realize that my own accoustic tone is key and the tube gain will affect the settings, but I'm open to any information on this at all. If I have overlooked such information on settings elsewhere here, I apologize.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to jump in. Y'all have got a good thing goin' on.
Bludha
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon May 29, 2006 5:39 pm

What were the original pre-amp tubes...? Were they both 12AX7s...? My understanding has always been that you only really need to change the first one in the line,'cuz the others only amplify the first; if that's the case, then if you just use a lower gain first tube,that should do the trick. When I re-tubed my Peavey 30, I bought two different gain tubes, and jus' plugged each one of 'em in at a time,and tried it. If you get too little gain,the amp won't have enough gain to cut through a band on stage,as a stage monitor. You didn't say whether you plan to gig with it or not, but even if you mic it on stage, you're not gonna want alot of it goin' through the singers' monitors,'cuz singers don't seem to like that much, so you'll need enough volume on stage so that you can hear what you're playing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Mon May 29, 2006 6:29 pm

I always use my pre amp tubes on the Pro Jr in the following set up.

Looking at the back of the amp right to left, 1 AU7, 1 AX7. I always turn the tone right off anmd put the volume on around 5 - 7.

I used to use both tubes as AU7s but found that 1 as AX7 just rips up a little better.

The only other change I made was to replace the speaker with a Jensen C10Q.

Hope this helps
Kingley.
http://www.kingleyharp.co.uk
kingley
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Mon May 29, 2006 10:14 pm

Before I got rid of my Pro Jr. I used a 12au7 in the first slot and a 12ax7 in the second I found I had to go down to a AU7 and not an AT7 because it wasnt enough the AU7 really cuts down on the 1st stage gain allowing you to go with more vol.

I know you may love your vintage green bullet but might I suggest using a jt30 or a vocal mic for less feedback and better tone. The pro jr. is well known for its bad screeming feedback I know first hand I experemented with mine. Dont get me wrong it sounds great with the green bullet and a 12au7 tube if you want to stay below 3 on the volume, but if you wanna get a little higher volume then that swap that green bullet with a vocal mic with a dynamic element and the jr. will come alive, for a happy medium to have the best of both worlds I found the jt30 with a MC151 element to be the ticket there.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby Bludha » Tue May 30, 2006 2:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Right now, with the 12AU7 and 12AY7 combination and with tone set about 3, I can get up to about 7 on volume without feedback. But the overdrive distortion doesn't seem to kick in until I reach about 6 on volume (at least not to my aging ears). Guess I'll keep playing around with the tubes and knobs!

As for the mic, I do love the Green Bullet, but if after messin' around with the tubes I still "Can't Be Satisfied" (heh heh--just finished my copy of the Muddy Waters biography with that title--great read), then I'm open to experimentation there, too.
Bludha
Regular

Postby Bludha » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:19 am

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys. You inspired me to keep experimenting over the past few days, and as a result I've found a combo that comes darned close to matching the "tone in my head" that I was searching for: 12AU7 tube in the first position, 12AT7 in the second position (nearest the power tubes), Tone = 1, Vol. = 5-7.

The other thing that made a real difference is that, in the midst of all this fooling around with tubes and settings, I tried playing my chromatic through the amp, which resulted in better breathing and a slight adjustment in my cupping technique necessitated by the larger harp size. When I switched back to the diatonic and kept the breathing and cupping changes, voila! What a difference.
Bludha
Regular

Return to Blues Harp