HarpGear 5F1 Amp Review

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

HarpGear 5F1 Amp Review

Postby kingley » Thu May 25, 2006 7:41 pm

This is a copy of an email I sent to Brain Purdy at http://www.harpgear.com after I received one of his great little amps.

My first impressions, I opened the super well packed box ( don't think I have ever seen so many polystyrene peanuts!!).
The amp looked great. I peeled off the bubble wrap and admired the beautiful lacquered tweed, my eyes were drawn to the details of the build which is of exceptional quality.

So then I swapped the plug over like you told me I would have to (had to go on the web to check the USA wiring colours, no big deal though!) Then I double checked the plug wiring just to be sure.

So finally the moment had arrived. I plugged in the amp and switched it on to see that gorgeous glowing red light.
Then I reached for one of my hottest mics (JT30 shell with a black label Shure CR element inside). Due to being in my flat (apartment) I only put the volume up to 3 and then gently blew into a Hohner Marine Band Deluxe harp in A.

Man I wasn't prepared for the sound that greeted me.

It was Fat, Ripped and had that Brown sound we all love!!!!
I pushed it a bit harder and tested the dynamic response with a rendition of Walter Hortons "Easy".
The amp gave me everything I wanted and like Adam Gussow said 3 times as much bass as I expected. Wow!!!!!

Easily louder than my Pro Jr and far more tone without me even really trying!!

I am gonna blow it at a higher volume tomorrow as I have the day off work and then on Saturday I am gigging with a local band and am gonna use it for that. I will tell you how it goes.
I think that it's gonna become my favourite amp from what I have heard so far!!!.

This amp is a great product that is built to extremely high standards and that in my opinion should be used by every harp player.
I have lost count of the amount of times that I have seen harp players turn up to small / medium gigs with a Fender Bassman, yet for the life of me I can't figure out why. I always used a Fender Pro Jr.

Well not anymore. From now on it's a HarpGear amp for me and if anyone asks me I am gonna say "Do yourself a favour and get over to Mister Purdy at HarpGear and get one of those amps of his!!!!!!!!"

I am gonna do some recordings with it soon and will post them on my website.

Kingley
http://www.kingleyharp.co.uk
kingley
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Thu May 25, 2006 11:47 pm

you know what I think already LOL .............
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby kingley » Fri May 26, 2006 10:12 am

There is a short clip of me playing the HarpGear 5F1 amp on my website for anyone who is interested.
Just navigate to the music page and look for the red "NEW".

Kingley
http://www.kingleyharp.co.uk
kingley
Regular

Return to Blues Harp