Advice?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Advice.....?

Postby qtheblues » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:28 pm

Hey, 601.....
So it's YOUR fault the Marine Bands keep going up in price! Every time you quit, the price goes up.
Do me a favour, man, don't quit any more.......I can't afford it!
LOL
qtheblues
Regular

Postby Little Mickey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:52 pm

What's everyone's opinion on Johnson harps? Cos now it's basically between them and the Piedmont Blues ones.
Little Mickey
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:00 pm

:shock: Is dat a trick question??cuz I ain't never blew a Johnson,ain't planin on it either!!!
601blues
Regular

Re: Advice.....?

Postby 601blues » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:04 pm

qtheblues wrote:Hey, 601.....
So it's YOUR fault the Marine Bands keep going up in price! Every time you quit, the price goes up.
Do me a favour, man, don't quit any more.......I can't afford it!
LOL
Heck da way dey cost I can't afford ta play em!! But Iam gettin more into it and always have but Iam not a straight harp player I use it in conjunction wif my guitar from them to have each other ta talk to!! and highlight each other!! But since Ive benn playin dat National I see a great need to rethink my harp sound to blend more with dat reso, Iam thinkin of an amp for the harp!! Tell me somphin Good!!
601blues
Regular

Postby Little Mickey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:12 pm

Hmm. Looks like Jambone and Johnson are the same thing. So, it looks like I'm back to square one...

Although it has helped me make my decision- those blue plastic inserts on the Jambones are horrible! I'm definately going for the Piedmont Blues' classy black 'n' brass look.
Little Mickey
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Just go for it micky at 20 bucks you got nothing to loose, olus they are made by hohner a more reputible company and brand then jambone or kay or any other elcheapo harp maker.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:10 pm

THEBLUESBOX wrote:Just go for it micky at 20 bucks you got nothing to loose, olus they are made by hohner a more reputible company and brand then jambone or kay or any other elcheapo harp maker.

I bet they are made in china. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:02 am

that may be but what ever, its promoted with a hohner sticker on it who really gives a flip try them for cryin out loud who can go wrong with a 20 buck set, if they turn into a pumpkin at midnight then go buy one hering 1923 for 20.00 :-) They are not made in china but Brazil rather LOL !
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:11 am

THEBLUESBOX wrote:that may be but what ever, its promoted with a hohner sticker on it who really gives a flip try them for cryin out loud who can go wrong with a 20 buck set, if they turn into a pumpkin at midnight then go buy one hering 1923 for 20.00 :-) They are not made in china but Brazil rather LOL !

I don't mean to rain on anbody's parade, but I bought a similar set from bushman. It was garbage. In harps, you get what you pay for. If you dabble in playing the harp, then these things might satify you. But if you play seriously, or have tried one of the name brands, none of these will hold your interest for more than a few seconds. They are basically stocking stuffers for your kids.

The only real hohners are made in germany. I have been dealing with hohner for 21 years as an endorse. Their quality has gotten pretty good lately, and they will outlast a hering. That $20 could have bought you a decent harp. I have had my say. If the cheapos work for you, right on. Walter

you can hear a bunch of solo harp songs here. Just me and my harp, and they are with stock marine bands. If I was to use these cheapos, the stuff I did would never work.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:27 am

Im all for good stuff I only use the top brands, in this case i think he is really looking for cheap ones, but what ever floats his boat really.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby Little Mickey » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:33 am

I don't mean to rain on anbody's parade, but I bought a similar set from bushman. It was garbage. In harps, you get what you pay for.

I have to disagree there; my two reasons being that Lee Oskars are some of the most expensive harmonicas around and they're sh*t, and Barclay (the single cheapest harmonicas I have ever seen) are actually really good, if a bit thin in tone.

Besides, the only difference that being made in China makes is that they're cheaper for the company to make- hence why they're cheaper to sell, which is why they're cheaper to buy. So everyone's a winner! (Except China, I suppose...)

Lee Oskars, by the way, are branded as 'beginner' harps, because the reeds are tuned slightly sharp to compensate for accidental bending, so I no longer take the 'they're for beginners' argument into account.
Little Mickey
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Little Mickey wrote:
I don't mean to rain on anbody's parade, but I bought a similar set from bushman. It was garbage. In harps, you get what you pay for.

I have to disagree there; my two reasons being that Lee Oskars are some of the most expensive harmonicas around and they're sh*t, and Barclay (the single cheapest harmonicas I have ever seen) are actually really good, if a bit thin in tone.

Besides, the only difference that being made in China makes is that they're cheaper for the company to make- hence why they're cheaper to sell, which is why they're cheaper to buy. So everyone's a winner! (Except China, I suppose...)

Lee Oskars, by the way, are branded as 'beginner' harps, because the reeds are tuned slightly sharp to compensate for accidental bending, so I no longer take the 'they're for beginners' argument into account.

Lee Osker gave me a bunch of his harps when they came out. I didn't like them. Junior Wells played them at the end of his career because he got all he wanted for free. I asked if he liked them, and he said he liked them enough seeing they were free. Hohner doesn't give out free harps.
Whatever floats your boat, and as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:29 pm

That's not true.

Oskars are tuned to EQUAL tuning, which means that the individual notes will be in tune with other instruments, for example a piano tuned to 440 pitch. Special 20s and Marine Bands use JUST INTONATION tuning, meaning that all notes on the harp are in tune with each other, not an outside reference point. This gives Oskars the brighter, thinner tone that most bluesmen have a disdain for...it has nothing to do with preventing accidental bending. The JUST tuned harps have smoother sounding chords and basically sound better for blues.

I agree with Walter, you get what you pay for. You can talk about cheap Chinese made harps until you're blue in the face and at the end of the day, they're still cheap Chinese made harps.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:51 pm

If you want to hear why Lee Oskars sound fine on some tunes,listen to the kind of harpin' he wuz doin' with the band "War",back in the 70's; it wasn't blues harpin',it wuz basically creative compin',much of the time aiding the horn section with straight backing lines...very little bendin',and alotta single note compin' accents and lines. I loved his work on those albums, because it showed an ability to use the instrument creatively in a band situation,but it wasn't blues. I still use Oskars for some tunes,but they come out of the case rarely.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:32 pm

Am I in a minority here? - I love my LO's, and have a full set. I've never had any tone problems, I don't think they sound thin, and they last and last. I went off Hohner's harps when they went over to the MS series- they're just not as comfortable. I do like the Special 20, but they don't last out the same as a LO, If the Special 20 had stainless steel coverplates instead of nickel plating I might still use them. The best Hohners I've ever used are the OLD Pro-Harps, which used a special 20 size comb. I'd consider trying Hering's or Suzuki's if my local music shop stocked them, those Hering Black Blues look nice...
I had a set of 4 Jambone harps a while back to leave in my desk at work. They were very poor quality harps. I had to tune 2 before they would play properly. I wouldn't get any more, but rather save my money for something better.
t bone bruce
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp