Blues Harp musicians?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Blues Harp musicians?

Postby groovy_bob » Mon May 22, 2006 12:15 pm

dear all - I'm looking for albums where the dominant instrument is the blues harp as opposed to it being a background or a "fill-in" instrument. so an album with lots of blues harp solos if you like. I can't really give you any comparasons, but I seem to remember Don Baker's "Almost Illegal" cassette which I had and lost years ago fit the bill.

any assistance appreciated!

cheers Bob :wink:
groovy_bob
Regular

Postby songdog » Mon May 22, 2006 3:30 pm

Welcome to da Road Bob

Some of my favorites are - Carey Bell, Little Walter, Big Walter Horton, Charlie Musselwhite, Bobby Rush, Sonny Boy Williamson I & II, Paul DeLay, Sonny Terry and Paul Butterfield. CDs by any of these artists will be loaded with harmonica playing.

A few other great players that come to mind include: James Cotton, George Harmonica Smith, Jimmy Reed, Junior Wells, Howlin Wolf, Slim Harpo, Billy Boy Arnold, Lazy Lester, Norton Buffalo, Rod Piazza.....

I hope this helps
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Mon May 22, 2006 5:24 pm

Some of my modern favorites would be Jason Ricci and Harper...
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon May 22, 2006 6:57 pm

One of the guys around here recommended "Blues Harp Hotshots" to me a coupla years back,and it turned out to be a good compilation of contemporary blues harpers. It's available online all over the place for about $7.00 plus shipping; a good value. I don't know if you're a novice harper or not, but it's always good to pay particular attention to what the good harpers play when they're not soloing. Lotsa harpers can solo, but there's alotta harpers who've never learned to "comp", or play accompanying parts behind the band. Alotta these embellishments are basically sax parts,occasionally guitar. If you're not new to the instrument,I'm sorry to bore you.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Personally I would say if you want a good overview of modern blues players then get any of the "Blues Harp Meltdown" series of CDs.

Hope this helps
Kingley
http://www.kingleyharp.co.uk
kingley
Regular

Postby bluemoose » Wed May 24, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi All

Player not to be missed is Carlos del Junco at http://www.carlosdeljunco.com

Latest cd's are: BLUES MONGREL, UP AND AT 'EM , BIG BOY ,JUST YOUR FOOL

Just your fool is an earlier live show, amazing blues harp.
My current fav is Big Boy, blues, jazzy stuff, latin tints.

Most of his liner notes give music key, harp and position info. Very usefull.
If you want to stretch to 3rd and 12th pos he has some great examples.

bluemoose.
bluemoose
Regular

Postby Little Mickey » Wed May 31, 2006 1:44 pm

I don't often say it, but you can't go wrong with the French. Try and chase down (not literally, you might get in some legal trouble) Olivier Blavet (best place to look is in one of Robert Crumb's bands, sepcifically Les Primitifs Du Futures, Bluestory and the New Blue 4) the guy's a genius, seriously.

Other favourites of mine include Big Walter, Little Walter, Sugar Ray Norcia and Troyce Key and J.J. malone (I'm not sure which one plays the harmonica, but whichever one it is, he's great).

Happy hunting! (Again, not literally)
Little Mickey
Regular

Postby groovy_bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:33 pm

hey guys - thanks for the goldmine of information :)

so far got hold of Little Walter - Blues With A Feelin' twin CD, it is just awesome!

you chaps are the best :wink:
groovy_bob
Regular

Postby Little Mickey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 am

Also, if you find yourself hankering for something a bit more unusual, try out Corky Siegel's Travelling Chamber Blues band- Corky Siegel is an American harp player who used to front a Blues band in the 60's, but has since joined up with a classical string quartet and invented something called 'Chamber Blues' if you dont believe me have a listen at http://www.chamberblues.com/history/his ... honic.html there's a 'listen' link towards the bottom of the page on the left hand side. He's really excellent and I highly recommend that cd to anyyone.
Little Mickey
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Little Mickey wrote:Also, if you find yourself hankering for something a bit more unusual, try out Corky Siegel's Travelling Chamber Blues band- Corky Siegel is an American harp player who used to front a Blues band in the 60's, but has since joined up with a classical string quartet and invented something called 'Chamber Blues' if you dont believe me have a listen at http://www.chamberblues.com/history/his ... honic.html there's a 'listen' link towards the bottom of the page on the left hand side. He's really excellent and I highly recommend that cd to anyyone.
Corky actually fronted and ran both bands,and has reunited his Siegel-Schwall Blues Band during the last 2-3 years. I've got summa his chamber blues,and I have to confess that even though I'm a big Corky Siegel fan, I didn't care much for his chamber blues project. It has been the dominant work of his adult life however,and has carried him through a successful career. Siegel-Schwall is headlining the Prairie Dog Blues Fest in Prairie du Chien,Wisconsin, in July,and I've got my hotel reservations already.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp