Jerry Portnoy-Master class

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Jerry Portnoy-Master class

Postby lightninboy » Sun May 21, 2006 6:59 pm

Just started my 10 yr old daughter on the J P Master Class CD's.
She is already learning lots after just one night.

I'm an old harper myself, and if I had the lungs, I'd be willing to take it up again. This guy is so inspiring.

She's been playing live gigs since she was 7, but mainly straight harp, with just a little cross. She has a wonderful ear, and is a quick learner.
With the aid of Jerry Portnoy, I'm guessing she will progress beyond anything I could ever do, shortly.

I'm excited!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun May 21, 2006 7:35 pm

That's terrific!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon May 22, 2006 11:46 am

That's so cool, LB!

My 19 yr old daughter expressed a mild interest in guitar a while back, but that fell by the wayside when she met her latest boyfriend.

My 30 yr old stepson used to play drums but just pretty much stays stoned these days.

I gave his 10 yr old son a Lotus Les Paul copy and Dean Markley practice amp for Christmas '04, but it's gathering dust as the kid is more interested in video games.

Three very different kids...three generations. Huh.

Anyone whose child expresses an interest in performing music should feel fortunate these days. It seems to be a slowly dying art.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon May 22, 2006 2:45 pm

That's great LB!

...and you're quite right Bosco.

My son has been playing electric bass for a couple of years now. I just ordered him a new Englehardt upright bass. (He now has almost as many musical instruments as I do!) He's got the desire, and definitely has the talent, so I'm doing everything I can to give him the tools he needs. Besides...old dad has fun playing his basses. :)

But that's nothing compared to the fun of playing music together.

Actually, I've been interested in that Portnoy set myself. Anyone else tried it? Is it worth the price?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue May 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Actually, I've been interested in that Portnoy set myself. Anyone else tried it? Is it worth the price?

McGoo-

The Portnoy tutorial set is awesome and recognized by harpers as the most comprehensive and best available. It covers, in detail, anything blues related that possibly can be played on a harp. It's the best $60 you can invest.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue May 23, 2006 2:22 pm

Hey thanks Bosco!

I've been toying with a harp for a long time now and, really, getting nowhere on my own. Maybe a little outside intervention (Portnoy set) is what I need to get me off dead center.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp