2nd hole

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

2nd hole

Postby gogs » Thu May 18, 2006 2:39 am

What is it with this damned 2nd hole that makes it so hard to get a clear note?Logically it should be just as easy as the rest:it's the same size and shape,needs the same amount of air to make a sound.So,cover 1st hole and draw = foghorn!It may just be me being thick,but can someone please explain it?Cos I no comprende :?
gogs
Regular

Re: 2nd hole

Postby watertore » Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 am

gogs wrote:What is it with this damned 2nd hole that makes it so hard to get a clear note?Logically it should be just as easy as the rest:it's the same size and shape,needs the same amount of air to make a sound.So,cover 1st hole and draw = foghorn!It may just be me being thick,but can someone please explain it?Cos I no comprende :?

That shouldn't be. Maybe you got a bad harp. The harder you blow or suck, the more the reed bends. I am no technichian, just a player. How long have you been playing? That may be a factor too. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djflash » Thu May 18, 2006 4:35 am

The lower reeds are longer then the higher reeds which makes them easier t bend ... go figure :-) so if your sucking too hard your going to have a foghorn sound, try attacking it a little easier and mellow with a slow breath and practice that for a good long time you'll get it right sooner or later just remember to go easy and mellow on it makes for a beter sound.
djflash
Regular

2 hole

Postby santo » Thu May 18, 2006 8:36 pm

The 2 hole is going to bend some naturally with any amount of draw, learn how to use it. Practice getting the same tone from your 2 draw as your 3 blow. The move will help you get several techniques improved. Make sure you are getting a single hole in each position.
santo
Regular

Postby gogs » Sat May 20, 2006 2:22 am

Cheers for the input fellers,some handy hints there.You were nearly right Walter,wasn't one duff harp,but two!Probably caused by over blowing when I was at the chords only stage.I've just got another harp and the 2nd is as clear as a bell - I'm a happy harper again! :D
gogs
Regular

Postby harphack » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:26 am

I'm far from and expert, but i think santo has it right. learn the nuances {sp? lol} of those heavier longer reeds. I have been at it for almost 9 monthes and it is hard to be srticulate in that far low range. soft and slow helps work out those kinks . good luck
harphack
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:26 pm

needs the same amount of air to make a sound

That's were you are incorrect GOGs.

The lower register reeds are longer and catch more air (blowing or drawing). They should require less effort than the higher, shorter, stiffer reeds.

Overplayed, the 1 hole tends to rattle and the 2 hole will hesitate and then usually bend slightly flat. Both of these holes are very easy to bend below the intended pitch...again because they catch more air.

Once you get used to the idiosyncracies of each hole, your playing will become automatic.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2nd hole

Postby celticphantom » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:43 am

I have always found that I need to drop my jaw slightly when I play the 2nd hole, in order to get a decent single note from it when drawing. Try this it may help you also.

Regards,

Fintan
celticphantom
Regular

Postby MasterBlaster » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:27 am

The 2 draw gives most new players a difficult time.

The higher notes can be equally hard, or harder for a new player to learn to play them well.
MasterBlaster
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:00 am

I'm spending some valuable time at the moment with Jerry Portnoy (or his CDs at least) and re-evaluating my playing style. I find that if I focus more on my breathing - using less air and conciously breathing from the diapragm - then the 2nd hole doesn't give me any trouble at all.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:02 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:I'm spending some valuable time at the moment with Jerry Portnoy (or his CDs at least) and re-evaluating my playing style. I find that if I focus more on my breathing - using less air and conciously breathing from the diapragm - then the 2nd hole doesn't give me any trouble at all.

That's also better playing technique, period, and it allows a much greater fluency and control of everything you do, and along with that comes two things:

a.) MUCH better tone and tone control;
b.) better playing as well as considerably better control of your ALL of your overall playing technique, PERIOD!!
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp