I Made a New Toy!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

I Made a New Toy!

Postby OldWailer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:56 am

My latest machine for customizing harps--this one is for tuning. . . :D

OldWailer
Regular

Re: I Made a New Toy!

Postby jeffl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Pretty cool, Wailer! I've played harp for over 45 years, and I still play 'em right out of the box. If they go a little out of tune, I keep playin' 'em, but I'll change the way I blow or draw to keep it from being exacerbated. In other words, I won't overplay 'em. If it messes bad with the chording, then I'll replace 'em.
I prob'ly have the time to tech my own harps, but I'm not a guy who enjoys that kinda stuff. I play every week, and I prob'ly blow up one or two harps/yr., if that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby OldWailer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't know if I made this clear in the video or not--the harp I'm working on there is out-of-the-box--nothing done to it--never played before I made the video. The point is, harps rarely, in my experience (I mainly only work on MB), start out being in tune. If you ever had a harp that you just loved from the start and thought it just sounded better than any other harp you have--chances are that harp was in tune. Of course, they also get worse with age and need to be tweaked now and then.

Of course, it's as Jeff says--we just learn to compensate with a little subtle change in embouchure here and there, often without even thinking about it. However, I have found that playing a harp that is in tune is just a better experience, and, at least in my own personal experience, they sound much better.

Messing with harps ain't for everybody, I agree--it's just something I got hooked on along the way. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby s1120 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:10 am

Nice.. And I leaned something. I never knew you had to tune one!! :oops: Makes sence... Just never thought much about it.
s1120
Regular

Postby Hurricane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:47 am

Hello Old Wailer :

Outstanding my friend . I started in 1954 and have seen just about it all . Your work is unique and greatly appreciated too by me .

Hurricaner Ramon
Hurricane
Regular

Return to Blues Harp