tongue use other than blocking.

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

tongue use other than blocking.

Postby michaelc » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:59 pm

here is another way of using your tongue for blues harp technique.this is for holes 5 to 10, blow and draw. curl your tongue down and cover only the bottom half of the hole. this is for single note playing.this allows you too use more air with control on the smaller reeds.this also helps keeping a good tone. I `ve been playing 35 yrs. and haven`t heard this mentioned with all the other tongue blocking ways.this works great for me,so if this can help any one develop their technique,do it to it......
michaelc
Regular

RE: tongue use other than blocking.

Postby harp54 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Here is one that brings a little humour into a solo. Draw while vibrating the tongue in the same way as rolling an 'R'. Works best on 2nd hole. Found it by accident.
harp54
Regular

tongue use

Postby colmanL » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:56 pm

besides blocking you can use the tongue for many rhyth. sounds
staccatto slapping in + out draw in and go hut-hut-hut by slapping your tongue tip to the roof of your mouth and same thing blowing. another is purr buzzing blowing out,i think sonny terry used this alot. also tongue
slapping off the harp playing 6ths or octaves can give you a soul song
feel,you know horn section triplets. i`m sure there`s a ton more .......
colmanL
Regular

Postby beachmaster » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:37 pm

I don't know what you call the technique, but I like to wiggle my tongue rapidly back and forth (side to side) for an interesting trill type effect... it sounds a lot like a Vegas slot machine and has limited applications, but is pretty neat when you occasionally fit it in a solo.
beachmaster
Regular

Return to Blues Harp