received my book & cd from Jon Gindick & have

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

received my book & cd from Jon Gindick & have

Postby jagarner70 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:55 pm

I am working on the basic 12 bar progression and I am having a tough time with the timing. I know I am suppossed to start with a C chord for 16 beats and so on but I cant keep track of the beats. I'm challenged what can I say. Is there a good trick for someone just starting out with this? Also, when I am suppossed to play the chord 4 times for 4 beats do I play the chord for a count of 123 and take a breath and then 123 breath etc? Or can I play any arrangement of the c chord for a total of 16 beats? I played the progression over and over for an hour last night until I was dizzy and I need a little direction.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

RE: received my book & cd from Jon Gindick &

Postby brianp » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:17 pm

If it is Jons book it is probably actually starting in the key of G. You use a C harp and play second position which is G. Either way I would recommend listening to lots of slower blues songs and listening to the changes. Blues has a progression you can feel. It is 16 beats of G 8 beats of C and then back to 8 beats of G followed by the turnaround which will go 4 beats of D 4 beats of C 4 beats of G and then 4 beats of either G or D depending on if the song is ending or not. I cannot overemphasize the importance of just listening to blues music to get the feeling of the changes. It makes all the difference. When I started I had the same problem becasue I didn't listen enough to what was going on. Now I can tell where I am within a few beats. It will get to where you are pulled to do the right thing because the changes become engrained in you. I hope this helps.

BrianP
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:54 pm

Tap your foot and lsiten to your heartbeat. It'll come naturally with a bit of practise.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby harp54 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:37 am

Just incase you don't believe BrianP and JRB,I think they are absolutely right. Tapping the foot becomes a natural metronome(The late Mr Hooker was probably one of the best) and 'feeling' the blues rather than following a tab is the point when it gets rewarding.

I know it feels strange at first, concentrating on your foot to play harp but its worth it in the long-run. This also helps to kkep things tight when playing in a duo.I used an old fruit box with some bottle tops for a bit of percussion.

As for breathing: Whatever comes natural to you, we are all built differently an it is part of developing a unique sound.
harp54
Regular

Return to Blues Harp