Circular Breathing

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Circular Breathing

Postby harp54 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:06 pm

By popular demand (one actually)' CB for Harpers'

For what it is worth, this is what I understand about CB and I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Blow with filled cheeks, at the end of a breath shut the back of the throat off and use the air in yhe cheeks to continue the note by squeezing the cheeks (contracting the muscles I guess).

At the same time drawing a breath through the nose and re-filling the lungs.

Then re-introduce the air from the lungs.

I am at the stage of re-introducing the air but cannot do it smoothly yet.
harp54
Regular

RE: Circular Breathing

Postby brianp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-06 AT 06:40 PM (EST)]Have you tried the straw in water method yet? I am also a didgeridoo player and when I was learning to CB I used a straw twisted at one end and put it in a 2/3rds full cup of water. Then start blowing and doing what you described making a small steady stream of bubbles. After you get it then untwist the straw to lower the backpressure. Once you can do that you will be ready to try the harp. Remember to start to squeeze the air out of you cheeks first then sniff the air and then start blowing again. Too many people try to squeeze the cheeks and sniff at same time. That won't work smoothly. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I hope this helps.

BrianP

PS use the diaphragm to inhale so the air gets into the lungs. Remember you can't fill your lungs on one sniff you have to work out a steady rhythm which incorporates the sniff so you can keep going. Start on a G harp to make it easier also.
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eline » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Wherer might we see/hear specific examples of this technique?
I can envision whats going on and I could see the benifit of holding the note, but I would like to hear someone or hear it in effect.

Eddie
Blues in E
eline
Regular

Postby harphawg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:25 am

I always knew that four years of trumpet playing would come in handy someday......
harphawg
Regular

Postby brianp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:00 pm

I can't give you an example of where it is useful in Harmonica but it comes in handy with the Didj. He was asking so I was just giving my advice. I have messed around with it on the harp but I don't play much 1st position so I really have just toyed with it there. It is handy for trumpet also. I can hold a note on there for a loonnnggg time. I have spent way too much time trying to circular breath on the harp in reverse. I don't think it will be possible but it can hurt to try ;o)

BrianP
http://www.harpgear.com
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:32 pm

It's easy to take your breathing for granted when you've played harp for about 38 years,but I've had a breathing problem due to allergies for the last week,and my practices have been alot more tiring. I really had to force myself last nite,and I'm thinkin' about not even playing at the jam tonite,'cuz it's so hard to breathe well. I've got a nasal spray,but the period of time it stays effective has shrunk from about 5 hours to about 1. I can't take more spray,'cuz I've got high blood pressure issues. Be thankful for good breathing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cdon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:10 am

Here is a link that I found a few years ago. Did not persue it at that time.

http://grex.cyberspace.org/~n8rxs/circle.html
cdon
Regular

Postby dblues » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:47 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-06 AT 11:52 PM (EST)]Roland Kirk was an expert at this. It has been noted that he did this on a sax for 45 min non stop.

An animated diagram can be found at: http://www.planet-sax.com/rc.php

Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:00 pm

There are a couple of examples of circular breathing here:

http://www.patmissin.com/uncommon/uncommon04.html

There's lots of great harp stuff on this site.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Huddie Ledbetter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:12 am

How often should you breathe in through your nose? Every few seconds or what?
Huddie Ledbetter
Regular

Re: Circular Breathing

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:11 pm

harp54 wrote:Blow with filled cheeks, at the end of a breath shut the back of the throat off and use the air in yhe cheeks to continue the note by squeezing the cheeks (contracting the muscles I guess).
If you squeeze your cheeks just right, you can keep the music going while you get a breath to blow your harp... Oh, I guess you meant the other cheeks...
:oops:
ricochet
Regular

Postby dblues » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:40 pm

Huddie Ledbetter wrote:How often should you breathe in through your nose? Every few seconds or what?

Whenever you start running out of air in your lungs!
dblues
Regular

Return to Blues Harp