tremolo/vibrato

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

tremolo/vibrato

Postby lason » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:46 am

i got john gindick's book and he mentions that vibrato comes from the stomach but i am having a hard time accomplishing this. any hints?
lason
Regular

RE: tremolo/vibrato

Postby rookie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Hiccuping?
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rookie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Sorry, I've been infected with the jokey answer syndrome prevalent on the plankspanker's board. They do say breathing should all be done from the stomach, though I don't think I've cracked it yet, so it sounds logical. But the advice that I've used fairly successfully revolves around a sort of inaudible laughing technique in the back of the throat. I can't really describe it any more than that, but there's better guys round here than me for that sort of info.
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby striper » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:55 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-06 AT 06:29 PM (EST)]Just go slow, push the air up from your diaphram...the speed will come.

Also, you can think of it in terms of (subtly) flexing and unflexing your stomach muscles.

Just takes practice.
striper
Regular

Postby czook » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:50 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-06 AT 07:50 PM (EST)]The vibrato John is talking about is Diaphram Vibrato. One way to do it is to say yeah, yeah, yeah... as you play. this will give you the feeling and you can see where the vibrato is coming from. this is for both draw and blow.

Then you have throat vibrato. That is like making the maching gun noise using your throat. Practice this drawing and blowing at different speeds of vibrato.

there is also hand vibrato. Use your hand. :D
czook
Regular

Postby yjm_rules » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:46 am

I honestly think he mentions that too early in the book. I mean its on the page he teaches how to play single notes. I'm just leaving it for a while then coming back to it. I think overall its a good book but I wish the first half of the CD was like a conventional instructional CD then the second half had the backing track on it.

Martin
yjm_rules
Regular

Postby harp54 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 pm

It is just a matter training the muscles to work the right way. This is the frustration and joy,(when you get it right) of playing harp. you did not read out of a book you discovered your own way. Keep tryuing it wikk come, honest!
harp54
Regular

Postby lason » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:59 am

i had it for a few seconds the other day and now i can't get it again. i'm trying to imitate john sebastion in his instructional video where it looks like he has a turkey neck. i'm going to keep trying until i can do it again.
lason
Regular

Postby freewayjam » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:25 am

Been wondering where vibrato comes from.. I am now led to believe that it's a conscious thing, at least at the beginning. Always thought it was a matter of natural physical construction - one's throat naturally wavered, or didn't. I've been playing with this since I first read about it last week and I can sometimes do it really well. But most of the time the pace of the warble varied a lot. I love that technique though so I'm going to keep at it.
freewayjam
Regular

Postby lason » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:45 pm

i'm still having a hard time with vibrato. i did however figure out draw bends. i can't do blow bends at all though.
lason
Regular

Postby harp54 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:12 am

Freewayjam has a point regarding physical construction or atleast natural playing inclinations.I did not know what vibrato was until someone pointed out that I they thought I had a nice one.

It is strange how some things come easier to some of us than others but I say 'viva le differance'. After all, I guess it is what this forum is all about.
harp54
Regular

drawing in vibrato

Postby colmanL » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:06 am

try this ,draw in on hole#4 then start a hut-hut hut rhythm drawing in
its like a hic-up in reverse. a good exercise to develop this is
draw in on #3, blow on #4,draw on #3 then draw in on #4 then hut-hut
hut-hut. work on this and you`ll be doin` paul butterfield style of
"every things gonna be alright" have fun.......
colmanL
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:16 am

I do it with a sort of laugh ha ha ha ha both inhaling and exhailing, that comes from your stomach when you laugh and ha ha ha you can feel the stomach muscles workin. I find thats the easiest way for me to do it.
thebluesbox
Regular

Re: RE: tremolo/vibrato

Postby jellyroll baker » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:12 pm

rookie wrote:Hiccuping?

Y'know, that's not far wrong. I've found that you can give your breatha "push" from your diaphragm that's not that dissimilar to hiccuping that adds a touch of vibrato when you do it. Hard to describe but just hiccup when you play and you'll understand.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

vibrato

Postby bigcat72 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:13 pm

man get jerry portanoys blues harmonicaclass it tought me so much .coast to coast music .com 69$ you will love it . good harpin .
bigcat72
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp